Author Topic: Mk 8.5 speed limit warning useless and dangerous  (Read 429 times)

Offline Adam1986uk

• Just got here
Mk 8.5 speed limit warning useless and dangerous
« on: 01 October 2024, 22:32 »
I'm finding the speed limit warning super annoying on the mk8.5. It can be temporarily deactivated but turns on again next time you start the car.

About 30% of the time it detects the wrong speed limit and so alerts you incorrectly - the technology simply isn't good enough.

The adaptive cruise control also uses the sign detection to set the speed. On a journey this weekend, it twice decided the speed limit was 100mph. It then automatically set the cruise control to 100mph on the M25, see image attached (photo taken by passenger the second time it happened, luckily I managed to brake before exceeding the speed limit).

You can see the speed limit it detected on the right in the red circle and the ACC auto set to the same in green on the left side. Crazy!

« Last Edit: 01 October 2024, 22:34 by Adam1986uk »

Offline Carlosfandango

• Here all the time
Re: Mk 8.5 speed limit warning useless and dangerous
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2024, 23:47 »
You can turn off the cruise control automatically adjusting to speed limits in the settings, you can also turn off the ACC being able to adjust speed due to road layout, I’ve had these both turned off since I first used the ACC and experienced the same as you, once off the cruise control is adjusted manually using the steering wheel buttons like normal.

« Last Edit: 01 October 2024, 23:59 by Carlosfandango »
On Order -
8.5 GTI, Dolphin, Pan roof, Area view, DCC, Queenstown wheels, HUD, HK, Spare wheel.

Current -
2022 Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2024, 11:12 »
Blimey it's still doing that on the Mk8.5?

Other than the limitations of it seeing speed signs for parallel roads, mine has been OK a few dozen software updates ago.

Initially it used to get weird things like deciding the speed limit was 85kmh (50mph) but set it to 85mph! But that was a couple of years ago.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2024, 11:31 »
Had a 24 plate T-Roc on hire recently and it was doing it. 70-30 at one time when a residential road ran parallel to the A road I was on. I got into the mindset of trying to predict when it would happen......

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2024, 15:49 »
Interesting to see VW have learnt nothing from the mk8.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.