Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 555842 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1450 on: 05 November 2017, 10:44 »
So does the Das 6 Pro accept a 3'' backing plate as well as the larger ones that come supplied with it?
It doesn't make it clear on the website.

Yes, it does. Here’s mine with a 3” backing plate and pad attached;

I'm assuming then that the pro plus will also accept a 3'' backing plate?
If so, I think that's the way forward for me :smiley:

No, the Pro Plus will not accept a 3”backing plate as I’ve explained!  The backing plate assembly is different so it will only take the 5 and 6” that come with it (or replacements).  You cannot use spot pads on the Plus unless you somehow adapt it, which I have seen people do, but clearly a makeshift job and compromising the balance of the machine.

Pro Plus backing assembly.

Well that's a bummer!
Back to drawing board again :sad:
Thanks for clarifying Rebecca, it looks like I need a DAS pro like SRGTD's or a similar machine to the pro plus that's in the same price bracket but will accept a 3'' backing plate :undecided:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1451 on: 05 November 2017, 13:24 »
DAS Pro then for you kalimon? :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1452 on: 05 November 2017, 13:56 »
Looks that way doesn’t it?
I suppose it’s cheaper so can spend a few quid on accessories for it.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1453 on: 05 November 2017, 14:12 »

£35 will be very handy for some post detailing essentials, beer, crisps, pork scatchings....mmmmm :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1454 on: 05 November 2017, 14:20 »

The Das6 Pro is a good machine for a first time user of a DA polisher to get some pretty decent results with an appropriate combination of pads and polish. It’s also really useful for dealing with those annoying small scuffs and scratches that your car may pick up from time to time.

I may upgrade my Das6 Pro next year (I quite like the look of the Vertool DAS 21E; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/vertool-das-21e-dual-action-polisher-v2-/prod_1391.html), but I’ll be keeping my DAS6 Pro for the small spot pad work.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1455 on: 05 November 2017, 14:26 »

The Das6 Pro is a good machine for a first time user of a DA polisher to get some pretty decent results with an appropriate combination of pads and polish. It’s also really useful for dealing with those annoying small scuffs and scratches that your car may pick up from time to time.

I may upgrade my Das6 Pro next year (I quite like the look of the Vertool DAS 21E; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/vertool-das-21e-dual-action-polisher-v2-/prod_1391.html), but I’ll be keeping my DAS6 Pro for the small spot pad work.
Thinking about it, the Das6 Pro is probably all a cack handed f**ker like myself should be allowed to use :wink:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1456 on: 06 November 2017, 08:28 »
Gave a mine the weekly wash yesterday.. well in this case it was 2 weeks!

The exhausts get pretty sooted on the GTI, I often do quite a few shorter runs in the week so always give them a good clean after the wheels. However, on closer inspection there was lots of tar spots/contamination, even after such a short period of time - only got the got early July and its done 4k now.

Anyway, everything came off with a combination of clay, Autoglym tar remover and then Carbon Collective metal polish. What do people use to seal these to help keep them looking clean - maybe some wax? I do have the Carbon Collective Platinum wheels which is a ceramic type coating, that could work?

« Last Edit: 06 November 2017, 08:30 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #1457 on: 06 November 2017, 10:48 »
@Jim-mk7.5  after cleaning I use carlack complete then top it off with FK1000p - seems to last 4-6 months, still pick up tar but that all depends on the roads your on

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1458 on: 06 November 2017, 11:25 »
As said in other thread, great job, the GTI looks stunning.  :cool:

I polish exhaust tips using Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish, then seal with C2v3 or Sonax BSD. I've gjust got some Britemax Metal Twins so will use that sealant next time.  Any decent protection will do.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1459 on: 06 November 2017, 11:52 »
As said in other thread, great job, the GTI looks stunning.  :cool:

I polish exhaust tips using Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish, then seal with C2v3 or Sonax BSD. I've gjust got some Britemax Metal Twins so will use that sealant next time.  Any decent protection will do.

Yes thanks for the nice comments!

I saw the Britemax metal twins on Instagram and nearly ordered some but ended up with the Carbon Collective stuff. Must get something on them now they are really clean again..
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey