Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556056 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1110 on: 16 June 2017, 20:12 »
Shocking state of your boot! :shocked: :laugh: Good to see that your car is not wrapped in cotton wool and gets some proper use. Engine bay looks mint too. Funny as I was checking my oil and water today and thinking it needed a good clean under there. This could be the push I needed. :laugh:

It's my daily driver workhorse car - used for work business as well as personal use, so it can take a bit of beating.  :laugh:

I can go months without touching the engine bay.  I didn't get time to do it at my big easter detail but gave it a going over a bit later on.  But as I was sorting the boot tonight, thought I'd just give it the once over as trying to keep on top of it, as it's a pita to clean if you let it go ages.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1111 on: 16 June 2017, 21:10 »
I just pressure wash by 'boot' out. :laugh: :laugh:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1112 on: 16 June 2017, 21:14 »

Redneck.  :wink:  Pretty soon we'll be seeing you on one of those YouTube vids showing people jet washing the insides of their cars/trucks.   Popular method of cleaning in America, are you going to start a uk trend.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1113 on: 16 June 2017, 23:36 »
Thanks everybody for the advice, all rather compelling I must admit. I'll see how my pennies look this payday, perhaps I'll start a DA fund alongside my new tyres fund! Seriously though, it has got me thinking so thanks again eveyone.

Just had a look on-line - DAS6 or DAS6 Pro Plus? With the microfibre kits there seems to be £70 in it. Is the Pro Plus worth the extra?

Next I'll be being told off for not having a jet washer :rolleyes: :whistle: :laugh:

You don't have a jet washer.  :shocked: :grin:

Good question about the DAS6 v Da6 Pro Plus.  £70 is a big difference.  The main difference is the 'throw' of the Pro Plus.  At 15mm compared to the 8mm of the standard DAS6 you will find the main benefit to be the ability to achieve greater correction with less physical effort in less time, as the oscillating head (and pad) covers more ground (15mm) with each oscillation.  I switched to Pro Plus last year and have found it to be a better DA (I moved from a Meguiars G220 which is similar to the DAS6).  But for someone starting out with a DA, the DAS6 is a really good option and has one advantage over the Pro Plus - the former can take normal pads (5", 6" etc) and also spot pads (3" on a smaller backing plate).  The Pro Plus design means that you can use the 5 and 6" backing plates that come with it, but due to the nature of the backing plate fixing to the machine, you cannot fit a smaller (75mm) backing plate and therefore you cannot use spot pads with it.  This is quite an important thing to consider as there are many areas on the mk7 golf that really need a spot pad.  I'm going to be looking at adding to my DA kit later this year to add a machine for spot pad use to supplement my DAS6 Pro Plus.  For this reason plus taking into account you are a complete newcomer to DA polishing, imo the DAS6 would be the better buy.  You can always upgrade later to a machine with a longer throw. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1114 on: 17 June 2017, 07:15 »

Redneck.  :wink:  Pretty soon we'll be seeing you on one of those YouTube vids showing people jet washing the insides of their cars/trucks.   Popular method of cleaning in America, are you going to start a uk trend.  :grin:

If I had pleather seats, maybe, but I've got alcantara don't you know.

We did stop at an OK Diner and had burgers with stars and stripes flags holding them together. The flags were erected on the back corners of the bed for the ride home. :grin:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1115 on: 17 June 2017, 08:56 »

If I had pleather seats, maybe, but I've got alcantara don't you know.

Posh trailer trash then.  :tongue: :laugh:

The alcantara is very nice, comfortable too.  :cool:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1116 on: 17 June 2017, 19:13 »
Thanks everybody for the advice, all rather compelling I must admit. I'll see how my pennies look this payday, perhaps I'll start a DA fund alongside my new tyres fund! Seriously though, it has got me thinking so thanks again eveyone.

Just had a look on-line - DAS6 or DAS6 Pro Plus? With the microfibre kits there seems to be £70 in it. Is the Pro Plus worth the extra?

Next I'll be being told off for not having a jet washer :rolleyes: :whistle: :laugh:

Good question about the DAS6 v Da6 Pro Plus.  £70 is a big difference.  The main difference is the 'throw' of the Pro Plus.  At 15mm compared to the 8mm of the standard DAS6 you will find the main benefit to be the ability to achieve greater correction with less physical effort in less time, as the oscillating head (and pad) covers more ground (15mm) with each oscillation.  I switched to Pro Plus last year and have found it to be a better DA (I moved from a Meguiars G220 which is similar to the DAS6).  But for someone starting out with a DA, the DAS6 is a really good option and has one advantage over the Pro Plus - the former can take normal pads (5", 6" etc) and also spot pads (3" on a smaller backing plate).  The Pro Plus design means that you can use the 5 and 6" backing plates that come with it, but due to the nature of the backing plate fixing to the machine, you cannot fit a smaller (75mm) backing plate and therefore you cannot use spot pads with it.  This is quite an important thing to consider as there are many areas on the mk7 golf that really need a spot pad.  I'm going to be looking at adding to my DA kit later this year to add a machine for spot pad use to supplement my DAS6 Pro Plus.  For this reason plus taking into account you are a complete newcomer to DA polishing, imo the DAS6 would be the better buy.  You can always upgrade later to a machine with a longer throw.

I am thinking about a jet washer :wink: Thanks for the advice, I'm considering the pro as it has the better motor of the plus and can take the different sized pads. I'm very much a middle of the road chap, except for colours on occasion...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1117 on: 18 June 2017, 10:16 »

I am thinking about a jet washer :wink: Thanks for the advice, I'm considering the pro as it has the better motor of the plus and can take the different sized pads. I'm very much a middle of the road chap, except for colours on occasion...

I've only recently (earlier this year) acquired a pressure washer; an entry level Nilfisk model. I wish I'd got one sooner. I find it makes car cleaning much easier, and with a good (Autobrite) snowfoam lance, I find it's possible to remove most of the dirt before having to make any contact between paintwork and woolly mitt, so helps further minimise the risk of swirls. It's also really useful for jobs around the home  - removing the green algae and dirt from paths, garden shed etc. If you get one, you won't regret it.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #1118 on: 18 June 2017, 19:42 »
2nd attempt with DAS,done front end with megs MF kit .. 99% swirl free  :shocked:

Thanks to booth for her advice ,and the toothbrush worked a treat . think i done a better job this time , just the sides and roof to do ,maybe in the morning ill get it finished..

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1119 on: 18 June 2017, 20:42 »

I've only recently (earlier this year) acquired a pressure washer; an entry level Nilfisk model. I wish I'd got one sooner. I find it makes car cleaning much easier, and with a good (Autobrite) snowfoam lance, I find it's possible to remove most of the dirt before having to make any contact between paintwork and woolly mitt, so helps further minimise the risk of swirls. It's also really useful for jobs around the home  - removing the green algae and dirt from paths, garden shed etc. If you get one, you won't regret it.

You people are gonna cost me a fortune!

hepton, that looks superb and is adding even more pressure on me to get some money out :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.