Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 789289 times)

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #780 on: 23 March 2015, 21:22 »
Has any one found a way to reduce the time the amber air bag warning light appears on start up?

(think it is around 1 minute)

Rather distracting in the dark, and I always look at it and wonder if something is wrong  :rolleyes:

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #781 on: 23 March 2015, 22:16 »
For those with alarm from factory, a small coding to activate the horn besides the normal siren when the alarm kicks in. I find this useful because TBF the standard siren's volume is quite low.
So:
1) open 9 Cent. Elect.
2) Adaptation
3) Select channel (7)-Anti-theft device-Akustischer Alarm Signalhorn
4) Set it to Active.

I can't remember if I read it here or on another forum but somebody was on about disabling the hazard lights when braking hard, or emergency braking assistance I think it's called. The adaptation channel is in Cent. Elect. and it's labeled:

(1)-Assistance light functions-Notbremsanzeige NBA  - Active.

By default it's active so can be set to Not active if needed.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2015, 22:24 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #782 on: 23 March 2015, 22:56 »
Why would you turn a safety feature off? Leave the hazard lights on auto.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #783 on: 24 March 2015, 06:12 »
Why would you turn a safety feature off? Leave the hazard lights on auto.

There used to be option to either have the hazards or the fast flashy brake light type for emergency braking. Not sure if its the same on the mk7
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #784 on: 24 March 2015, 07:03 »
There used to be option to either have the hazards or the fast flashy brake light type for emergency braking. Not sure if its the same on the mk7

There is a channel I came across that translates into emergency brake lights. I can't remember the german text but I'll post it later when I get a chance.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #785 on: 24 March 2015, 07:33 »
No nag screen in Belgium either :)

By the way, talking about nag screens, is your Golf also saying "don't forget your mobile phone" when you turn off the ignition?

Can we tweak that message? (like to say "Don't forget to feed the cat"  :laugh:)

VW must assumes Brits are smarter than US, mine isn't showing nag screen either.

Strange. I have never seen such messages on my Nav. Must be disabled from factory.

Gentlemen: I'm not sure why we Australians have been saddled with the infamous SATNAV "nag screen". It might be because we are (mostly) descendants of convicts and we just can't be trusted - hahaha (it's not true BTW)!

But it's good to hear that this type of nonsense doesn't happen up there in the northern hemisphere!

Anyhow, here's a picture of  the infamous "nag screen". On our cars, once this message comes up (it appears to come-up randomly), nothing can be done on the Discover Media screen unless the OK button is pressed.

PS: It would be interesting to know if Byte 23 on address 5F-Infomration Electr. control module was set to 00 on your vehicles - "I'd  bet London to a brick" that it is!

« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 07:39 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #786 on: 24 March 2015, 07:58 »
Whilst we seem to have some more VCDS experts on board (yes GeoBog and dv52 I'm talking about you  :grin:), there are 4 nice to haves that would be really great if they could be coded (not sure they can but worth asking). I have asked about some of these before, but you never know ?

1. Some way of having the nasty opaque background that appears for the first 5-6 seconds when selecting reverse with a rear view camera, that covers the left had third of the screen. It disappears after some seconds, but really annoying anyway.

2. My Bluetooth seems to take quite some time when ending a call (Iphone 6). When I press call end, it hangs for about 5 seconds before returning to what ever was playing. It's done this since new and on 3 phones now (albeit all various Iphones). Is this an IOS issue with the Iphones, or the bluetooth module with the car. On my previous Scirocco and Golf, pressing "end" on the phone button terminated the call and resumed audio play back within a second or so.

3. Any way of displaying the climatronic settings on screen dynamically as you adjust them as it was on the MK6 / MK5 / Scirocco platform (just looked really cool, and to be honest made changing settings easier as they were displayed on the large screen).

4. Finally (bluetooth again), anyway of reinstating addition menus in the instruments FIS display (i.e phone book, missed calls etc.) All I've ever had is last calls and that's it. To dial a number I either have to use the less than stellar voice control, or look at the screen and mess and scroll whilst driving. Again, on previous platforms, the bluetooth displayed a lot more in the central DIS screen than the MK7 displays.

As you can see, I'm not overly impressed with the Mk7's bluetooth implementation.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #787 on: 24 March 2015, 08:00 »
Has any one found a way to reduce the time the amber air bag warning light appears on start up?

(think it is around 1 minute)

Rather distracting in the dark, and I always look at it and wonder if something is wrong  :rolleyes:

phope: OK. That's an interesting screen. Down here in the antipodes, we don't get that screen at all. When I switch the ignition-on on my car, I get the small (indiscrete) "air-bag fault light" appear in the rev-counter dial as the only test indicator for the air bag - but the light goes-out after a very short while and it's not intrusive at all

I guess that your screen must be required in some countries by regulation. But the fact that we don't get the screen suggests that it can be turned-on/off (somehow).

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #788 on: 24 March 2015, 08:14 »
Do you guys down under get the airbag de-activation switch (mounted in the side of the dash end plate) ? It's standard here in the UK, so maybe it's like that to just warn you that you have disabled the airbag or not ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #789 on: 24 March 2015, 09:31 »
Sootchucker: No, we don't allow airbag deactivation and I'm pretty sure that it's an offense down here to carry child equipment in the front seat.

I suspect that it's all done in address 15 - Airbag. There is an adaptation channel in this control module that is  "(6)-Airbag adaptations-Key switch". Here's the setting for that channel from my car and the setting of a car from Ireland.

I think this is exactly what you are saying!! hmm......... I wonder if the setting in phope's car for this channel was changed to the Australian model, whether it would get-rid of his/her message? Of course, then the air-bag button wouldn't work and it would likely make the car illegal in Aberdeenshire (which I assume is in Scotland)
« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 10:04 by dv52 »