Author Topic: What has happened to my alloy wheel?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
What has happened to my alloy wheel?
« on: 30 April 2021, 17:46 »
Finally got round to cleaning my car for the first time in nearly half a year (due to being crashed in to, still not fully fixed), and noticed just one of my alloys the clear coat appears completely knackered, in all corners it's come away and where it hasn't peeled off, it is very faded.

I use bilt hamber auto wheel to clean the alloys, and have done so on my cars for 6 years without issue so can't imagine it's happened because of that.

Regardless I'm guessing I need to get the wheel refurbed, which is annoying.

Pic of damage: https://imgur.com/a/W23fLtZ

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: What has happened to my alloy wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2021, 18:29 »
I guess it's not white worm?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2021, 18:50 »
@Lordie; No, it’s not white worm. Looks like lacquer (clear coat) peel on one of the spokes on the black painted / powder coated section. White worm affects the diamond cut areas of the wheel.

@AmbushReality; always annoying when you discover something like this. If the lacquer peels and lifts off painted / powder coated surfaces on an alloy wheel, it maybe an indication that the wheel has previously been refurbished. Even if you’ve owned your car from new and none of the wheels have been refurbished during your ownership, there’s a chance it was damaged and refurbished prior to you collecting your car when new. Damage to brand new cars after leaving the factory and before the customer takes delivery does happen.

The wheel cleaner you’ve been using shouldn’t have caused it as Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is ph neutral, although using a pressure washer on your wheels could cause lacquer lift if they’ve had a substandard refurb if the pressure washer lance is held too close to the wheel.

You’re probably looking at a cost of around £90-£100 plus VAT for a good quality refurb.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2021, 16:23 »
Thanks for the response SRGTD. You were absolutely correct. My car went back to the bodyshop today to get outstanding issues with the crash repair fixed (see my other thread about that), so I asked them about the wheel and they said it's been refurbed previously to the point where they can't fix the issue now. They could do a patch repair of the clear coat but it would leave sharp edges and look awful.

Anyone know if I have any recourse with the original dealer? I've owned it since new so I know that I have had 1 wheel refurbed which is not the one in question so this has to have been done prior to being given the car. The car is now over 3 years old so I feel that I may be screwed here.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2021, 16:43 »
I think you've got zero hope of anything from the dealer.

You'd have to prove that they did it for a start...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2021, 17:26 »
I think you've got zero hope of anything from the dealer.

You'd have to prove that they did it for a start...

Agree - unfortunately, the dealer won’t want to know.

@AmbushReality; sadly, I think you’re faced with getting it refurbished at your own expense :sad:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2021, 17:33 »
Killer is, they took so much off when the dealer refurbed it that they can't do it now, new wheel time...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2021, 17:37 »
Definitely have a few different wheel refurbers look at it, because their "limits" can vary... some are over cautious.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC