Author Topic: The old 'pops n bangs' question  (Read 4496 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: The old 'pops n bangs' question
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2021, 09:30 »
Hmm I guess that is a possibility but as far as I'm aware the cats are still the same between the two? Unless they're using a freer-flowing cat to gain some of the extra power from the CS/TCR but if that was the case surely someone should've figured that out by now and we'd all be retrofitting CS/TCR downpipes to our GTI's.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2021, 10:01 »
I don't think I've seen anyone mention any exhaust system differences other than the backbox (well certainly not VS GTI's of the same MY)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2021, 10:43 »
Another thought on this over the weekend.

Someone close to where I live owns a 20 plate Leon Cupra with a stock exhaust system and that has some really nice subtle pops and burbles, so again how is Seat able to do this on stock systems but not VW?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Jen_mk7.5_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2021, 11:10 »
Ended up replacing the full system with the scorpion catback non res

Sounds tremendous very deep growly but yet to see if pops - for the record, i do not want pops/bangs personally i think they sound daft (just my opinion) all i wanted was a deep throaty growl which the stock exhaust does not provide so far so good and a MASSIVE bargain at £325 !

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2021, 11:19 »
Wow, how did you get it so cheap?
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Jen_mk7.5_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2021, 11:22 »
I run the Golf Owners Club Scotland and one of the lads was trading in his TCR  :cry: for a Yaris GR so got first dibs on it he only had the TCR for 10 months exhaust done 2k if that think it was £700 new he was selling off all the bits he had on for a quick sale  :grin:

Wow, how did you get it so cheap?

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2021, 11:38 »
Damn! I am very jealous indeed, that's such a bargain! Any drone?
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Jen_mk7.5_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2021, 11:41 »
Well, yes on acceleration, we did our drive to Ayrshire last weekend with the group and my son said it was droney but not for me i love it :) just take your foot off the pedal and it settles, so CC on chill at 70mph then when the wee fiestas pull along she can be noisy foot to the floor  :wink: defo more drone than my res delete had but as i say doesnt bother me

Damn! I am very jealous indeed, that's such a bargain! Any drone?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2021, 11:42 »
I've heard people hate the Scorpion, even resonated.... but we've seen on here that people all have different sensitivity to noise levels.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jen_mk7.5_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2021, 11:47 »
I was quite taken aback when i got the car i expected it to have a proper noisy cold start (non GPF) but it was so quiet and really only parped on acceleration so paid the old £60 for a custom res delete @ C&C in Glasgow and loved it i had only planned to replace the standard tips but for the cost of tips and fitting at around £180 decided to just leave it and then the scorpion came up really pleased with the sound off it now its what i expected a GTI to sound like as stock tbh or close to anyway

I've heard people hate the Scorpion, even resonated.... but we've seen on here that people all have different sensitivity to noise levels.