Author Topic: The old 'pops n bangs' question  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Jen_mk7.5_GTI

• Not said much yet
The old 'pops n bangs' question
« on: 24 March 2021, 15:06 »
Afternoon all

GTI Mk7.5 2018 NON GPF 6speed DSG

i swear on heavy foot the other day i got not only a fart but what can only be described as a wee pop - now i was of the belief that P&B had to be mapped in unless you have the clubsport which, i believe, have overrun as standard

The car is NOT mapped

Any input please

Thanks Jen :) :kiss:

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: The old 'pops n bangs' question
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2021, 20:37 »
We have a MK7 manual and after we did the resonator delete it now pops but only when losing traction :smug:

MK7 GTi

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2021, 16:38 »
Basically what I'm wondering, is it possible to map in the overrun similar to the Clubsport on a standard GTI
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2021, 16:46 »
Basically what I'm wondering, is it possible to map in the overrun similar to the Clubsport on a standard GTI

I think the noise from the CSS is actually more to do with the backbox than a mapping in particular.

The CSS backbox fits onto a Mk7 easily and a Mk7.5 with a bit of buggery.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2021, 16:52 »
I did wonder about this. I spoke to someone at Awesome GTI and they seemed to think it was more software based. I've seen a lot of videos of people adding the CSS backbox to their standard GTI's but the overrun doesn't seem to be there, only on the CSS themselves. I actually really want to know at what point in the process it happens, just not sure how to find out haha.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2021, 17:11 »
When remapped, you can get an extra squirt of fuel into the cylinder before the outlet valve closes, unburnt fuel goes into the exhaust, heats up, goes pop.

Used to risk shattering the CAT in older vehicles, not sure if it still does. Seems a strange waste of fuel to me and my engineering brain.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2021, 17:40 »
Most 'back street' tuners will write a pops and bangs remap for anything, as evidenced by the number of Fiesta's and Focus's running around with ~100bhp but sounding like Group B rally cars.  As AS said, it's just dumping unburnt fuel in to a very hot manifold so does nothing for performance and must cause damage somewhere in the system.

For the Mk7 a CSS backbox will improve the sound, TCR backbox does the same for a Mk7.5.  They both reduce exhaust back pressure so might offer a bit of a crackle on overrun from high revs for a standard GTI.
TCR 3 door

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2021, 17:51 »
I was looking at a video from a guy who "tunes" BMW exhausts.... he basically takes the rear box and cuts it open and inserts bits to make it more straight through.

Without the mod, the car does make a little bit of noise but its lost in all of the twisty pipework.... straighten it out and the thing sounds insane.

https://www.exhaustmods.co.uk/f20-f21-m135i-m235i-m335i-m435i
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2021, 09:20 »
It seems to me that there must be a "safe level" which is almost an OEM option has some of the Clubsports and TCR's seem to do it, I think if you're running a setup with a full-on machine-gun-like overrun map you're probably going to melt your cat. But I'm starting to think that if it's mapped in correctly for a stock cat you could achieve quite a nice, subtle sound?
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2021, 09:28 »
I'd guess you probably could do it somehow.... however doesn't both the CS/S and the TCR use a different turbo? Could the tune for the bigger turbo be the reason why they do it?