Author Topic: Adaptive Chassis  (Read 4637 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Adaptive Chassis
« on: 11 April 2013, 14:43 »
Excuse my ignorance, but could anyone explain the benefits of the adaptive chassis?  I assume that you can switch between sport mode, comfort etc - is this option therefore better suited to a DSG?
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Adaptive Chassis
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2013, 15:14 »
The ACC basically gives different types of car to an extent, in sport the suspension is firmer the steering sharper and the throttle more responsive whereas in comfort it gives a softer ride so more relaxed on long journeys and uneven roads, it changes the characterisics of the car dependent on what you want from it? Be that chuckable sports car or comfortable cruiser, on the 7 there is more choice of settings so you can have the steering in sport and the throttle in eco but the suspension soft if thats what you fancy?
It doesn't matter whether you have DSG or manual as it doesn't affect that part of the car.

Tbh it's not a HUGE difference but is definately noticable hence why i've gone for it this time, the roads in my area are terrible with loads of speed bumps.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 15:16 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2013, 15:21 »
IMHO it's simply not worth the money (this is just my view - others will be positive). I've driven with it as standard on my Scirocco for 3 1/2 yrs and there's no way I'd pay £795 for it. It's simply too subtle. Sport is way too firm to use for everyday driving. Also the difference between Normal and Comfort is barely perceptible. Although comfort is the softest setting. TBH I leave it in Comfort most of the time (manly due to terrible road surfaces and huge pot holes).

If you wanna throw an extra £800 quid at the base price - I'd spec the sat nav! Far more useful in everyday life.

Oh yeah, works equally well with manual or DSG box.

Just my two penneth worth.

Gaz
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 15:42 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2013, 15:33 »
Excellent, thanks chaps.  Interesting to get two differing views on it, can defo see the pros and cons.

I haven't specced it, and won't be - purely because i drive quite hard and therefore I'd never have it out of Sport mode!  I currently drive a TT, therefore anything the GTI has to offer will be a softer ride!  And avoiding the potholes is all part of the fun!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2013, 16:31 »
I'd have to agree with Five-O here. Also have it on my current Scirocco and very rarely take it out of normal mode, (maybe occasionally in Comfort for long motorway journeys).

Wouldn't pay for it myself unless the MK7 version isn't as subtle as it is on the Rocco, and really does give a very different ride depending on the setting ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2013, 16:43 »
It's not just about the driving modes though is it?  Even in normal, it is constantly monitoring and adjusting the suspension which is why normal is adequate...because it should be!  Without it, the suspension only has one configuration.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2013, 17:11 »
See now my brother has a scirocco (his second) and i personally think the difference between comfort and normal is quite noticable, strange how peoples perception varies?  :huh:

Tbh the standard set up on my mk6 is very good and if i couldn't have afforded acc on the 7 i've ordered then i wouldn't be overly bothered but having ACC and DSG i think could pretty much make the 7 my perfect car!?  :tongue:

IMHO it's simply not worth the money (this is just my view - others will be positive). I've driven with it as standard on my Scirocco for 3 1/2 yrs and there's no way I'd pay £795 for it. It's simply too subtle. Sport is way too firm to use for everyday driving. Also the difference between Normal and Comfort is barely perceptible. Although comfort is the softest setting. TBH I leave it in Comfort most of the time (manly due to terrible road surfaces and huge pot holes).

If you wanna throw an extra £800 quid at the base price - I'd spec the sat nav! Far more useful in everyday life.

Oh yeah, works equally well with manual or DSG box.

Just my two penneth worth.

Gaz

Not unless you get lost a lot!? :grin:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2013, 19:28 »
I also feel that comfort and normal are quite far apart within the spectrum of adjustment. For me "normal" is closer to "sport". I end to leave it in comfort when it's winter and all the pothles spring up, switching over to sport in the summer or when I hoy my Scirocco around (having XDS activated by VAGCOM helps the Scirocco for hard driving also). I like it, but not £800 worth, i'd maybe pay £300 for it. Also my first Scirocco was plagued by ACC/DCC issues during the coldest parts of winter, it was fixed under warranty 3 times. I might live to regret not getting it if the MK7 GTD has as harsh/crashy a ride as my MK5 GT Sport 170TDI (17" wheels) had.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2013, 22:13 »
First option on my list.

Sporty hatch that sticks to the road like it was on rails or a luxury limo ride.

Your choice, whenever.

Depends on mood or situation.

My kids can tell from the back seat which mode it's in, every time.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 23:18 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2013, 22:30 »
I see the OP has opted for the 19" Alloys  :wink:   Based on the comments I've seen on the Mk 6 Golf R forum about ACC, the consensus was that it's a good option with the 19"'s.  You can set it on soft for around town where's there's lots of potholes and normal/sport on smoother roads - best of both worlds ?

I guess it will ultimately depend on how good/hard the standard suspension is on the new Mk 7 GTi -  so we'll have to await some road UK tests.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 22:34 by JonnyG »
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007