Author Topic: Coolant loss (needs a waterpump kit?)  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
Coolant loss (needs a waterpump kit?)
« on: 10 September 2020, 19:25 »
Gradual coolant loss/usage makes me think that my 2015 GTi needs a new waterpump kit. They're pretty notorius for the thermostat housing leaking, so much so they were all recalled in the US and VW got sued for being a bit sh!t.

I've contacted the stealer, as I think the car is still within the extended warranty until Oct. Not a terrific response, no-one available to deal with this right now we'll call you back. I can't log into the my VW Finance account as, random error, despite me entering the correct detais, but am pretty sure the warranty is in place still.

Anyway. If VW won't replace their own shoddy part. I'll just replace it with a quality aftermarket kit which will give me the chance to get the inlet manifold off to check for the dreaded direct injection carbon build up issue. Car is knocking on 60k so likely is more gummed up than Lord John Gummer.

https://youtu.be/CB5ThYfX7ag?t=106
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
Re: Coolant loss (needs a waterpump kit?)
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2020, 20:03 »
Hi Papa John, hope you get it fixed under warranty, do you know if the pump is common on the GTD? Out of interest mine is nearly out of M/F 3 year warrant and I was wondering if it is worth extending / how much.
Thanks
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2020, 20:24 »
It certainly was a common fault on the Mk7 GTD, whether anything changed on the Mk7.5, I don't now.

Of my colleagues with 14 plate GTD's I think I was the only one to not have the problem in the first 3 years.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2020, 21:06 »
Hi Papa John, hope you get it fixed under warranty, do you know if the pump is common on the GTD? Out of interest mine is nearly out of M/F 3 year warrant and I was wondering if it is worth extending / how much.
Thanks

I have no direct knowledge of the GTD, but see another member has. Aftermarket pump kit (includes new pump drive belt etc) costs from around £300/£400. I think I would go with https://www.hepu.de/en/

Best price of VAG parts found online was £301, that's for the waterpump and the 'plastic' thermostat housing from a Skoda dealer, no drive belt etc included. Skoda was the easiest to source the parts and I'd expect would be the cheapest too. Part numbers are 06L121111M / 06L121012H. They're the same in all the VAG MQB cars and even a Porsche I noted.

Handy resource. http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.aspx?11=437&14=4&10=1AA1A657CCC94BE79ED9501CB4431F05437004&12=100

Dealership labour? I'd say about another £400? Not a hugely difficult job, worst part is getting the inlet manifold off with all the associated coolant pipes and sensors which need moving/removing before and after. The actual parts just bolt on and off, no special tools or skills required, just lots of patience and care not to break anything.  :smiley:

Will update when the dealer gets back to me. Cheers.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2020, 10:59 »
Thanks Guys, Fred did you extend your warranty?
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2020, 11:23 »
Thanks Guys, Fred did you extend your warranty?

The 14 plate is long gone, got a 17 plate now and didn't intend to keep that beyond 3 years, but.... here i am until 3.5 years.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2020, 14:00 »
Thanks Fred, I will almost certainly keep mine for a few more years, can't see me in a Mk8 and I hate anything with stick on I Pads (certainly narrow the option a bit :angry:). With the DTUK box on it, it is more than enough for me the only worry of course is large bills from the stealers as time goes by. Fingers crossed they seem to have sorted most of the issues out on the 7.5.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2020, 14:31 »
Phoned the local dealer this morning and spoke to the parts dude who quoted the following.

For the pump & thermostat and associated drive belt etc. £390.97. They don't have the pump or the belt in stock.

Then got a quote for a new turbo to downpipe gasket £11.45 and securing clamp £17.35. They are in stock and I'm 'aving them for the new 4" Trackslag downpipe which is ordered.

I asked the really helpful spares dude to put me through to servicing to get a quote for labour costs for the replacement pump. He tried but they were engaged. Waiting on a call back.  :whistle:

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2020, 15:44 »
Wow, if your assessment of the labour charge of £400 is anything near, £800 for a waterpump replacement is very steep :cry:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2020, 15:53 »
Most people report the swap out of all of the bits comes to about 500ish+vat.

Parts cost you normally hear is about 350+vat.