Author Topic: 2 x New Golf GTI TCR 5dr DSG cars available for March delivery with 0% Finance!  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
So what's the GFV on these? Even with maybe a £17k 3 year GFV, there'll be a £500 a month prospect on 0% finance?

The one I got a quote on last month was £35,302k (discounted price, just under 40k RRP), with £3000 of my own cash as deposit was £560 a month (on the 0% deal) and after 3 years and 60,000 miles was worth £12,673. Basically costing me £628 a month.

Which is why I walked away.

Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars but that's too rich for me. I was very sad when i came to that conclusion  :cry:

How come it would cost £628, are you factoring in the final value as part of the monthlies?

Looking at these figures, I got a pretty damn good deal on my TCR, as my monthly cost is only a shade over £400 with a smaller deposit (also on 0% APR). List price of the car was over £40k too.

I suspect the lack of deposit, the 20k miles per year and the 3 year term are all something to do with it.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
OtR price on my order is £39965, I've paid £500 deposit and when the discount I've got has come off my monthlies are circa 430. I might put some more money in to reduce the monthly payment. In comparison the Leon Cupra ST R monthlies I was quoted was £530!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
So what's the GFV on these? Even with maybe a £17k 3 year GFV, there'll be a £500 a month prospect on 0% finance?

The one I got a quote on last month was £35,302k (discounted price, just under 40k RRP), with £3000 of my own cash as deposit was £560 a month (on the 0% deal) and after 3 years and 60,000 miles was worth £12,673. Basically costing me £628 a month.

Which is why I walked away.

Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars but that's too rich for me. I was very sad when i came to that conclusion  :cry:

How come it would cost £628, are you factoring in the final value as part of the monthlies?

Looking at these figures, I got a pretty damn good deal on my TCR, as my monthly cost is only a shade over £400 with a smaller deposit (also on 0% APR). List price of the car was over £40k too.

Not sure how you managed.just over £400 a month with a smaller deposit unless you're talking a longer PCP period (at least 4 years) and low to ave mileage.

On Fred's terms, with extra miles being charged at maybe 10p a mile, paid for by bringing the GFV down by £2000. Financing effectively £32360, that GFV must be around £14500 for 36 months at 10k.That's truly shocking on the terms of % RRP. 37% RRP retained after 3 years!

So the 0% deal isn't as great as it first seems.

VWFS are robbing Peter to pay Paul. They give you 0% finance to counteract the vastly inflated RRP that the TCR has.

So the slightly more savvy than your average punter, who gets a DTD sized discount, 0% finance, taking 3 years PCP on 20k miles pa is still facing a net monthly cost of £583 (£500pm x 36, plus the £3k deposit devised by the term).

If they come out the other end of this PCP with no equity (highly unlikely unless people are dumping ICE cars wholesale for electric cars in 3 and 4 years time), people are paying £21k out over 3 years. That's about double the capital that early Golf R owners were paying, getting the £18.5k GFVs and a DTD size discount.

Potential £7k pa loss on a discounted TCR is crazy money for a Golf - you'd have change from an RS3 for that money, if you could still order one.

From McMaddy and jf111's figures, it seems that VW may be minimising depreciation hit to the 4th year in terms of the GFV, so taking the 4th year does cut down the monthly depreciation hit. Not sure I'd want to be tied in to a VW PCP out of warranty.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2020, 17:35 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
48 month PCP and 6k miles. I've no intention of ever just handing the car back and walking away therefore the miles per year is less important. I've had my current GTi nearly 3 and half years so if I keep the TCR for the same time or longer then the 48 month term suits me too.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
Apologies for derailing the thread.

Mine is over 48 months too with 9k miles (more than enough for me). May or may not be a great deal but compared with other PCP offers I've had for much worse cars, it's on the cheaper end! I have struggled to find a car that fits my needs but the Golf GTI/TCR/R just about ticks every box.

I'm planning to keep it for the full term and might buy it at the end then try to turn it round for a couple of grand profit at the end (as I did with my last car). That way I don't have to worry as much about the mileage.

It's a difficult one and a massive topic of conversation elsewhere but I'm struggling to make the maths work on a used car compared to something new. It just doesn't seem right paying all that interest even if you own the car at some point, to then drive a 3-4 year old car. At the same monthly payment it would work out at almost £20k over 4 years but then take away the interest (about a grand at an optimistic 4-5% APR) and I'm still looking at just about being able to buy a 2017 Golf GTI. This way, I can get into a new TCR instead.

Warranty wise - what should I be looking out for? Are these unreliable cars, if looked after and serviced to schedule with oil changes in between?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Apologies from me too for derailing the thread - this deal is about as good as you'll get for a TCR right now, if you can indeed still get had of one elsewhere, and from that point of view, it is a good deal. However, the monthly cost of a PCP'd performance Golf has snowballed recently - you could get a Golf R or GTD on PCP for less than £400 a month (standard 3 year, 10k miles pa PCP)until relatively recently (not so much the GTI, it has always had markedly worse GFV).

These latest prices are just crazy, with the hit offset a little by the current 0% finance deal. It almost seems like the supermarket tactic of jacking the RRP right up of a can of Heinz soup or whatever, but you don't notice until the 2 for one finishes. I can see those MK8 prices, with no 0% finance being ridiculous. A Golf GTI on the threshold of the luxury car taxation is mind boggling. The GTI has almost doubled in price in 11 years. Nothing else has gone up in price like that over the last 11 years, not property, not Rolex watches - we seem to be on the verge of a bursting bubble. £430 a month with no deposit down by gaming the mileage/longer term almost seems reasonable.

That's still a lot of money for a car with distinctly average reliability and sh!tty customer service for VW UK. I do wonder when VW and the other German marques are going to start giving 5 year warranty standards as everyone else is (even Alfa and Renault!).
« Last Edit: 09 February 2020, 18:29 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
As I discussed before I think it's the combination of just too much stuff on the tcr, especially the akro exhaust and the fact that it's end of life and nudging against the end of ICE.

My current gtd was 10k less to buy and better gfv.

The m135i I looked at was cheaper to buy and had a significantly better gfv almost certainly because its a new model.

Maybe the mk8 will address some of those shortfalls. Quite possibly it will.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
 :cool: These sound seriously cool. Love the video posted above too, they really seem to have made some great tweaks to the interior on the newer models.

Cheltenham? Small world. Emailed them the other week about replacing my touch screen that likes to open menus on it's own every time the temperatures a little cold.