Author Topic: Does anybody track their Mk4?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Does anybody track their Mk4?
« on: 31 July 2007, 11:41 »
I did Oulton Park a couple of years a go in my 306, & I've suddenly got the bug again!

I haven't really come across much info on here about people doing them in their Mk4's.  I'm doing an evening session at Donnington on the 10th August.

Anyway, I'm going to be purchasing either 2 or 4 road legal track tyres, but don't know whether to stick with standard 205 55 16 or go to 205 50 16 to reduce the sidewall, (& therefore sidewall 'flex').

The difference is just outside the +/- 3% tolerance zone - See here  >>>  http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Also, is mixing road legal track tyres with normal 'roadies' a REAL BAD idea??

I'm thinking it's not the best thing to do, but I only need 2 tyres pretty soon, anyway

I was thinking of having a couple of Dunlops from Camskill & putting them on the rear, but I don't want to be flipping the Golf or anything due to the varying grip levels, as the Mk4 is my daily drive.

Anybody dared (or possibly been stupid enough! ) to try, then?

Any thoughts, anybody???

Cheers,

Ivor
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Pike

• Not said much yet
Re: Does anybody track their Mk4?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2007, 11:44 »
I wouldn't mix "grippy" and "not so grippy" tyres as you'll probably find it will upset the balance of the car quite a bit.

Golf GTI Championship #4
2008 VW1 3rd
2009 VW1 3rd

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2007, 18:12 »
id have thought the grippy tyres on the front would make the not so grippy ones at the back try to swap places with each other , ie making it very tail happy

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2007, 18:17 »
Thanks for your imput so far, chaps!!  :afro:

That's what I feared, so in the end, I plumped for 4 R888's - Managed to get a great deal from Camskill.

Next question, though.......  :grin:

What would be best to use on a wet track - Roadies or R888's??  Problem is, I've only got 1 set of rims, ATM, so can only go with 1 set or the other attached!
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2007, 18:34 »
id have said the 888s , once up to temp they should be pretty grippy even on wet race circuit (the tarmac has more rubber content or something so i read)  and im sure a dry line will apear soon enough