Author Topic: Track days on the cheap  (Read 3683 times)

Offline team tigger

• Just got here
Track days on the cheap
« on: 16 October 2006, 02:12 »
hi all, a couple of mates and I have jst strted tracking an 8v mk2 (pictures to follow),thought perhaps i could pass on some things we have learnt.

firstly check out www.motorsport-events.co.uk if you live in the south west, these guys are really supportive and as long as you are respectful, show no snobbery to us poor cheapo car owners.

we were lucky enough to pick up a car with strut braces, good brakes and very stiff suspension but a tatty paint job, crap interior and usual 18 year old damage for £150

since then we stripped, stickered, installed 2nd hand seat and harness, tripod, couple of tyres and topped up fluids and off we went. less than £50 spent.

give it a go, and dont worry about how fast you are, the fun is making her squeal through the corners !!! :laugh:

Offline team tigger

• Just got here

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
Re: Track days on the cheap
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2006, 02:16 »
Its quality , doin track days i love it , only had some fun in a couple of old 205s

Offline team tigger

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2006, 02:29 »
took the car to janspeed to put on the rollingroad last weekend, mainly because we had some over heating probs and after replacing the coil and dizzie wanted to be sure we had fixed it ran it fo 20 mins and it was sweeeeeeeet..... plus 89.6 bhp at the wheels, not bad for a standard engine 18 years old

plus she probably is 25% lighter than before :grin:

Offline team tigger

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2006, 00:59 »
off to hullavington on friday,  fitted air scoop, spoiler!! and changed oil. Also wired fan and changed tyres over, big to front, new pics will follow

team tigger :grin: :sick:

Offline jaybv6

• Here all the time
  • 03 Mk4 GTTDI PD 150
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2006, 09:16 »
Motorsport Events are the dogs danglies.  I've done a few track days with them, albeit in a Porsche 944 Turbo, and they are a class bunch.  Now I've got the Golf for next season I'm looking forward to it.

BTW. if you want a decent priced track day over the winter check out Motorsport Events' wesite.  They are doing dome of the events for £79 for the day and also an offer of buying one track day and getting the next one half price.

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2006, 17:08 »
looks great, tried to get in at cadwell today as missed the online order, phoned up and was told fully booked but if we got there and some one didnt show then wed pay and get on.... bummer was full up...... was great watching again though.. so the next one at cadwell is on the 11th nov, so im goin in the vr6 and my mates takin his skyline.... so got under 2 weeks to rip out my interior and find me a knackered bucket seat and remove the tow bar and fit the new discs and pads and either de cat the old girls or rip the contents out of the current cat..... :laugh: :laugh: great pics... hope to have some of mine up here soon..

:cool:

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2006, 17:26 »
im a passed master at interior removal , including sound deadaning , the last one too 45 mins from full 2 totally empty including dash , think its somethin to do with a miss-spent youth

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2006, 17:30 »
aye done it me self a few times when ive broke cars to sell, leaving the dash in though as i like warm air in the winter.... lol

now any one know of a battered buckect seat let me know as im strugglin to find a mega cheap on locally

:wink:

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2006, 17:39 »
id be tempted to sell ya mine but ya never know what i might get up to next , its been in 2 , 205s a mates mk3 golf , a capri , a nissan 200sx and a fiesta XR2i so i think were a bit of a team now , plus its only a couple of years old so its batered

ya big poof , my fiesta had the heater matrix removed too , and had perspex windows , was great fun driving to work everyday  :shocked: :laugh: