Author Topic: Best brakes For Track Day's  (Read 8280 times)

Offline robin09

• Just got here
Re: Best brakes For Track Day's
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2006, 13:46 »
whats the smallest wheel size that the 280s would fit under?
'87 Mk2 GTI - track ready
'03 Mk4 R32

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2006, 17:52 »
dunno ive got 280's on the vr6 with stock 15" wheels and they look pretty tight so id guess 15's would be the min with a g60 set up as there 280 discs??

:grin:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2006, 22:03 »
another thing is when you've just fitted greenstuff's to a G60 don't go racing things withing minutes of fitting them... they catch fire ;)

Haha, this nearly happened to me at Bedford recently !

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2006, 09:10 »
another thing is when you've just fitted greenstuff's to a G60 don't go racing things withing minutes of fitting them... they catch fire ;)

Haha, this nearly happened to me at Bedford recently !

It nearly happened to me last week! On my track in the back garden.... :lipsrsealed:

I've got VR6 callipers, braided lines, 280mm cross drilled discs and greenstuff pads...the pads are awful i think  :sick:
08.03.10 - 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I want my golf back on the road!

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2006, 13:08 »
The pads are fine for road use, nice pedal feel using them...they do get a bit hot and fade easily on track though.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Grovit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2006, 13:25 »
dunno ive got 280's on the vr6 with stock 15" wheels and they look pretty tight so id guess 15's would be the min with a g60 set up as there 280 discs??

:grin:

I think it depends on the style of wheel - I was looking to upgrade the brake sizes, from 256 to 280, however after having a good look- there is no chance they'll fit under my 15's - although I am running with ATS cups on which don't leave much room under the wheel.

I'm in the process of upgrading the brakes, fluid, lines etc and am getting Mintex 1155's but have a dilemma about the disks.  A place close to me is doing a deal on black diamonds, however they're significantly cheaper than some of the Tarox disks I've seen.

I like a bargain as much as the next person, however with size being a problem, and not having the heat disappation advantages of bigger disks and wheels, I really need the best disk / pad combo going.  Hence I'm a bit suspicious if a comparable product is significantly cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience of either, Tar-ox or black Diamonds at all - could really use some feedback on these.

Many thanks
Chris :cool:

Chris

I went to a seafood disco last week...and pulled a muscle.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2006, 21:42 »
you are actually better with solid disks, the cross drilled ones are far more prone to cracking when heat cycled than solid vented disks...

I`m fitting 280mm Solid vented disks and DS2500 pads for my track golf (it has the G60 setup already). Its stripped and will be used as a dedicated track car, driving to and from the track too and I definately wouldnt get cross drilled...

Nige

Offline xxdansigxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2007, 20:11 »
lol i can vouch for greent stuff pads catching on fire if you dont bed them in properly ;) lol

Offline stuey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2007, 21:37 »
Hi, i'm going for Brembo plain 280mm discs and ferodo ds pads for my first go (Mk2 16v ABF). I will also get some Goodridge hoses, and Motul RBF600 fluid has been recommended on ClubGTI site by some guys. My mate went from 256mm to 280mm on his 16v and he said its much better. As far as wheels go, i believe the oe Sebring wheels will fit if you can find some, i was lucky and managed to find some Compo MO's 15" for a good price. Still need a second set if poss though.

Offline jaybv6

• Here all the time
  • 03 Mk4 GTTDI PD 150
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2007, 19:23 »
My track car is a Mk2 GTi 8v.  For the first year track racing I've gone for 16v brake setup (calipers, hubs etc) with ATE Power discs and EBC Greenstuff pads.  I've also got Braided hoses on the way aswell.  I'm just going for dot 5.1 as I doubt very much I'll boil it (used dot 5.1 in the last car I went to track days in, a Porkie 944 Turbo and that was fine on dot 5.1).