Author Topic: Wrapping trim with carbon, help please!  (Read 1328 times)

Offline dantheman6554

• Here all the time
Wrapping trim with carbon, help please!
« on: 01 December 2010, 17:31 »
Hi all, new to the site so first things first hello great site ! love reading the projects and looking at all your cars,  just bought myself a 51 plate gti 1.8t,  looking to wrap the wooden trims on the door and around the stereo in carbon as the silver trims are far too expensive for my liking, just wondering if anyone had done this, what they used, how you did it!  all help  (ebay links etc)  would be much appreciated! 

Thanks 

Dan
Good Old Gt Tdi 115!

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Wrapping trim with carbon, help please!
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2010, 17:33 »
go in project section mk4 and look at my build thread i done it a few months ago.. its simple just use a hairdryer to warm it up..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline dantheman6554

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2010, 17:45 »
brill   have found this, would it be ok do you think,,  and just cut it to the desired size then stick on?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRUSHED-ALUMINIUM-FABLON-VINYL-STICKER-METRE-/190401260866?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c54ccad42#ht_1774wt_905
Good Old Gt Tdi 115!

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2010, 18:06 »
not sure about that stuff i got my stuff off a guy on here called jimbooboo but haven't heard from him for a while

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2010, 18:10 »
not sure about that stuff i got my stuff off a guy on here called jimbooboo but haven't heard from him for a while

yeah i pmd him a while ago asking about were he got his carbon wrap from and if hes willing to sell some ect. he never got back to me.

as for carbon wrapping you want 3m carbon wrap thats the best stuff, for the ally look  of the r32 trim im not sure.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2010, 18:12 »
yer mine was 3m not sure what vinyl style it was tho.. very flexy once warm which is what you want..

Offline dantheman6554

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2010, 18:32 »
ideal, and just cut then heat with the hair dryer to get it to stick properly,  ill have a go on the weekend and let you know !
Good Old Gt Tdi 115!

Offline Mikesps

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2010, 18:34 »

yeah i pmd him a while ago asking about were he got his carbon wrap from and if hes willing to sell some ect. he never got back to me.

as for carbon wrapping you want 3m carbon wrap thats the best stuff, for the ally look  of the r32 trim im not sure.

oh good! thought it was just me he wasnt replying to.   :sad:

Offline will gti

• I live here
  • ARZ 1.8T
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2010, 19:05 »
Hi all, new to the site so first things first hello great site ! love reading the projects and looking at all your cars,  just bought myself a 51 plate gti 1.8t,  looking to wrap the wooden trims on the door and around the stereo in carbon as the silver trims are far too expensive for my liking, just wondering if anyone had done this, what they used, how you did it!  all help  (ebay links etc)  would be much appreciated! 

Thanks 

Dan

theres a guy on here that will wrap all the stuff for 60 quid cant remember his name tho
WHEELS IN SIG FOR SALE FERB'D WITH NO CURBING, ALL WITH GOOD TYRES GOODYEAR NCT 5

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2010, 19:08 »
Its the guy we cant get hold of lol