Author Topic: 034 dog bone lower insert opinion  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
034 dog bone lower insert opinion
« on: 05 January 2021, 12:30 »
Hi

I’ve had the upper and lower inserts on my dsg for about a year now and decided I want to remover them or just the upper  due to nvh. I’m thinking of just using the lower insert.
The 034 website says you shouldn’t fit the lower insert without the upper insert as there’s a risk of damage to the dog bone over time but before the upper was invented, everyone just used the lower.

Has anyone got any opinions of just using the lower insert ?
My car is a standard PP so no excess power.

And I’ve got the latest version.

Thanks 

2014 gti pp dsg

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 034 dog bone lower insert opinion
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2021, 13:52 »
Presumably if you have done this to a stock GTI PP, its to overcome wheel tramp?

Have you thought about:

1) better tyres (PS4)
2) lighter wheels

Both of those address wheel tramp without shaking out your fillings.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2021, 16:26 »
Presumably if you have done this to a stock GTI PP, its to overcome wheel tramp?

Have you thought about:

1) better tyres (PS4)
2) lighter wheels

Both of those address wheel tramp without shaking out your fillings.

Yes and I’ve got PS4’s. No tramping but at the cost of nvh.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2021, 19:51 »
The lower insert alone should be fine, it will add some additional vibration to the car/cabin when taking off if you don't mind that.
After some miles it does "dampen" a little and become less harsh. I have the Leyo dogbone lower insert in my car.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2021, 20:42 »
Had the lower insert in my PP for 5 years with absolutely no issues as there was only the lower part then. Sounds like just marketing BS that it may cause damage.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2021, 07:13 »
The lower insert alone should be fine, it will add some additional vibration to the car/cabin when taking off if you don't mind that.
After some miles it does "dampen" a little and become less harsh. I have the Leyo dogbone lower insert in my car.

I’m hoping nvh will be reduced without the upper insert and just the lower inserted fitted.
I’ve covered 5,000 miles with both fitted at it didn’t quite down  a bit but not enough.
Thanks

2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2021, 07:15 »
Had the lower insert in my PP for 5 years with absolutely no issues as there was only the lower part then. Sounds like just marketing BS that it may cause damage.

That’s what I’m thinking. Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2021, 15:04 »

I’m hoping nvh will be reduced without the upper insert and just the lower inserted fitted.
I’ve covered 5,000 miles with both fitted at it didn’t quite down  a bit but not enough.
Thanks

I can imagine it's a lot firmer with both, but I would say remove the top one and see how it feels. I am sure it should reduce the vibrations a fair bit.

I am making a fair amount of power over factory with just the lower insert and I have had no issues so far with plenty spirited driving around the mountains.  :evil:

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2021, 17:20 »
You could try a poly lower insert, but I've heard these have more nvh than the metal ones.

Hopefully unless your doing lots of hard starts, you should be good with just the lower 0034 mount.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2021, 19:40 »
Thanks for the info.
I’ve removed the upper insert and left the lower insert.
Massive difference to nvh.
It’s so much better.
2014 gti pp dsg