Author Topic: 125d vs GTI PP  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Re: 125d vs GTI PP
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2017, 22:30 »
My mate has a 65 plate 320d m sport, and to be honest I didn't really think the interior build quality was amazing, scratchy plastics lower down and on the doors, didn't really rate it any higher than my 15 plate gti . Plus the interior is boring  :undecided: the 1 series looks a hairdressers car imo, I've never really thought ' they look nice'. Always thought they were just a cheapo BMW for those who can't afford a 3 series
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 22:32 by Wrex22 »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2017, 08:30 »
My mate has a 65 plate 320d m sport, and to be honest I didn't really think the interior build quality was amazing, scratchy plastics lower down and on the doors, didn't really rate it any higher than my 15 plate gti . Plus the interior is boring  :undecided: the 1 series looks a hairdressers car imo, I've never really thought ' they look nice'. Always thought they were just a cheapo BMW for those who can't afford a 3 series

Stereotyping much? I wouldn't call them a hairdresser car and saying they are a cheapo BMW for those that can't afford a 3 series is like saying a 3 series is a cheapo car for people that can't afford a 5 series. Where do you stop, a VW is a cheapo car for people that can't afford an Audi?

I looked at getting a BMW X1 25d M Sport before I ordered the GTD and as someone that doesn't like autos the box in the BMW came close to changing my mind.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2017, 09:05 »
My thoughts on the 1 Series was that it wasn't the much hailed "drivers car". I thought the 8 speed autobox just made it feel like it was a form of transport (albeit very easy to drive) and nothing like the GTD DSG I test drove before getting my manual one. In the past I have driven colleagues' 3 and 5 series and they ARE nice (if you are talking spending upwards of 50k) but the 1, well, it did feel like the poor relative.

I felt like I was spending a lot more money on something I would like a lot less.

The only plus point was that the fuel economy almost certainly was better than my GTD by quite a bit. I guess that's the 8 speed auto.

If I felt I needed a "prestige" badge, I'd opt for an Audi, but quite frankly that bothers me not one little bit!

Clearly I'm a little bit odd in this respect, because I see far more 1 series than Golfs on the road.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2017, 17:14 »

Stereotyping much? I wouldn't call them a hairdresser car and saying they are a cheapo BMW for those that can't afford a 3 series is like saying a 3 series is a cheapo car for people that can't afford a 5 series. Where do you stop, a VW is a cheapo car for people that can't afford an Audi?

I looked at getting a BMW X1 25d M Sport before I ordered the GTD and as someone that doesn't like autos the box in the BMW came close to changing my mind.

Hence why I said 'imo'

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2017, 23:41 »

Hence why I said 'imo'

I know it is in your opinion, if it wasn't in your opinion I wouldn't have said that you were stereotyping! :wink:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2017, 13:49 »
A friend of mine ran a 125d as a company car for a while.
I didn't get to drive it due to insurance reasons but was taken out in it.
Aside from the lack of 6 cylinder noise it seemed easily as quick as an M135i at acceptable road speeds and he demonstrated how it would quite happily spin the rear wheels up through the first three gears and not move! That's not bad going for an automatic car.

Yes it sounded a bit Dieselly but you just turn the volume up on the radio and by the time the air-con fan cranks up the speed you can't really hear the engine that much and it switches out at traffic lights.

He only had the car for a few months as he tends to run the more interesting cars that are due to go back off lease rather than stick with something mundane himself for a couple years. I think his pay banding at work means he would have to have something a bit rubbish if he kept the car long term but gets away with better cars if only kept for a short while.

His parting comments when the 125d went off to auction?
"I got a lift the next day in a colleague's GTD and had forgotten just how good an allrounder the Golf was, it was good to be back in one"

So on that comment from someone who drives everything from those weird BMW electric sports car thingies, V8 Jags to i10's and Fiat 500's it says that the Golf GTI will be a worthy replacement for the 125d.
What's not to like about the Golf GTI?
Looks good.
Feels like a Golf.
Quick.
Economical.
Iconic.
Amazing handling and ride balance for a lardy FWD sports hatch...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2017, 17:10 »
I had a 320d loaner when my 330d was in for a service and it also had the 8 speed auto.  Somehow it just didn't gel with the engine like the 3.0d does and I would say to anyone thinking of a 4 cyl Bmw to cut some spec out and buy a 3.0d it will be worth it.

Can't put my finger on it but where the 8 speed drops you right slap bang in 400lb ft of torque in the 330d with every change, it just seemed to give you more diesel noise in the 320d.

I won't sell my 330d until it's done at least 5 years and 100k miles it barely feels run in and although it will serve a different role to the CS if I could keep one car only it would be the 330d. I'm still stunned by the performance, economy ( never less than 40mpg ) ride quality and all round abilities including the lovely tan leather interior and ambient lighting you get as std.  I normally go off cars after 18 months but not the case with the 330d

That said I can't wait to get my hands on the CS and try it on some twisty B roads, should be a blast.  I have always admired the GTi but the std car wasn't quite special enough or fast enough but the CS add on's although expensive do elevate it for me and it holds an appeal the R has never had for me.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2017, 14:19 »
Suprised by the comments on dynaudio, I have found it to be very good. As with all speakers they do need to be run in to get the best from them. This should only take about 10-15 hours. Try not to push them too hard before then.

Dealers do seem to be hit and miss, vw have been great for me but my BMW experience was so bad I made them buy the car off me so that I didn't have to deal with them again.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline grose

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2017, 14:45 »
Thanks for the comments all, it's really interesting to hear the very differing views.

Cars at the end of the day are such a subjective thing. It's what makes forums such as these so interesting.

I must say, as I drive the car more, I am increasingly enjoying it, even with a few very minor faults.
I have discovered that Dynaudio is very input sensitive, and I have resorted to only the highest bitrate music I have. This wasn't something I was aware of initially, but it has made a big difference.

As mentioned, the GTI (or golf in general) is just such a brilliant all rounder. I would add that, in my opinion, it ticks all of the boxes that I require from a car and as an added bonus has some character and soul, which I felt has been missing from my last few cars.

I am looking forward to the summer coming and finding some dry roads to really enjoy the car!

MK7 GTI PP