Author Topic: Wheel warranty replacement  (Read 5257 times)

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Re: Wheel warranty replacement
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2014, 20:31 »
Cheers for the picture. Looks pretty shocking. I'll keep my eyes out as I assume the 19s are just as sussectible to this as the standard ones.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2014, 21:24 »
Cheers for the picture. Looks pretty shocking. I'll keep my eyes out as I assume the 19s are just as sussectible to this as the standard ones.

Any polished and lacquered finished wheel is susceptible. If this happened out of warranty, I would get the wheels painted or powder-coated.

Some dealership warranty managers won't entertain a claim, some bottle it, thinking that VW won't reimburse them. Happened to me, Benfield wouldn't touch them, despite me showing them many of their 2nd hand stock being affected and with no kerbing. Pulman replaced them without bother.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2014, 07:04 »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

Photo on this thread of very bad case

I have such a filthy mind – just laughed out loud on reading that thorough thread, at the mention of the “rim king”.  :evil: :grin:

This is a photo of mine that was replaced this week.  There were 3 or 4 places like this, all the same position around the rim.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2u6drczjsrbhu8/DSC00297.pdf?m=

Rim king...don't get me started :evil:.

Sorry, been offline since posting this.  They are the standard 18's.  I did keep a picture but can't manage to insert it - will have another go.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2014, 07:28 »
The finishing on the new gtd alloys is really poor so I would think at some point they will all go.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2014, 07:35 »
The finishing on the new gtd alloys is really poor so I would think at some point they will all go.

Wondering whether the use of C2V3 will delay it a bit, hopefully not so much that they go just after the warranty runs out (If I keep the car beyond warranty. All 4 of mine went on the MK5 at around the 2 year point, as did the foils on the wheel centre caps and the badge/boot opening handle.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.