Author Topic: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??  (Read 11057 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2014, 12:31 »
How does DSG affect the resale value? I guess again its personal, some will want it and others will want manual. HOwever given its a good bit extra to buy is that extra retained at resale time?
It will obviously be worth more than a manual model but how much is a tricky one to predict? I guess £800-1000 more than a manual equivelent?

DSG vs Manual is a on going saga with many different cars, its personal preference.
I opted for a manual but can see myself moving to a DSG someday when manuals are extinct.  :cry:

My dad’s GFV on the finance example (neither of us ended up taking out VW finance, but it’s a good indicator of retained value) was £300 higher than mine for his GTD, only difference in spec is his is DSG and mine is manual* - £1420 spend returns £300 after 3 years. He’s quite happy to lose £1100 on it to have a DSG box. He loves it, I loathe it – personal preference, I don’t like the decisions it makes with gear changes most of the time.

* He got free pearl paint when they changed his colour in an ordering cock-up, but that was never specified on the finance example.

You are never going to to see £800-1000 back on a £1400 option.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2014, 16:51 »
I loathe it – personal preference, I don’t like the decisions it makes with gear changes most of the time.

This does now seem to be a common issue with DSG - I have realised that part of the reason for this opinion is that DSG is one of the few autoboxes that tells you what gear it has selected in auto mode. As a consequesnce owners start to fixate on whether its D3, D4, etc. For those expericencing this angst I would suggest putting a bit of black electrical tape over the gear number bit in the MFD and just accept the systems choice - a lot less stressfu!

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2014, 08:20 »
I loathe it – personal preference, I don’t like the decisions it makes with gear changes most of the time.
Agreed.  That's annoyed me with other types of auto boxes too.  As long as my left leg and arm keep working it's manual every time.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2014, 21:14 »
Still haven't a clue whether to go manual or DSG and can't find a DSG to try locally.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2014, 08:39 »
I opted for manual but next time around I may go for DSG due to the GTD's terrible traction in the lower gears and wet conditions - can anybody confirm if the DSG lets you accelerate quickly  from standstill without tramping or wheelspin especially in wet and damp conditions?
GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2014, 08:55 »
Duroo: Although we haven’t confirmed it yet with someone who was so pissed off with their tyres they bit the bullet and bought 4 x Michelin PS3s or Goodyear Eagle Asy (I came close), I’d say it’s a fair bet that traction specific to tramping is down  to VWs OEM tyre choices and not which gearbox you have. If you start getting into launch control etc on the DSG I would still think that most people with a GTD on some of the OEM tyre possibilities are going to see plenty of tramping.

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2014, 09:21 »
I opted for manual but next time around I may go for DSG due to the GTD's terrible traction in the lower gears and wet conditions - can anybody confirm if the DSG lets you accelerate quickly  from standstill without tramping or wheelspin especially in wet and damp conditions?

Tramping is still very much prominent with the DSG - the 'anti-tramp' system appears to sleep a lot of the time  :undecided: Stick her in to sport, and TC light has a field day in both 1st and 2nd.. :grin:
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2014, 09:45 »

Tramping is still very much prominent with the DSG - the 'anti-tramp' system appears to sleep a lot of the time  :undecided: Stick her in to sport, and TC light has a field day in both 1st and 2nd.. :grin:

Thanks - that's not great how about wheel spin with your DSG from standstill (especially in the wet)?
GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2014, 10:57 »
Why would DSG reduce the tendency for wheel spin?

I agree the tramping is bad, especially given the fact that VW trumpets about the anti-tramping system. Having said all that, I have yet to experience tramping that could be because I have Continental tyres not Bridgestones or it could be that my anti-tramping system is working or...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2014, 11:22 »
I suffer from far less tramping now, but only because I really rein it in when it is wet. I’d rather set off like a pensioner in a 1.0 Micra than sit there on the spot thumping the tarmac, but on a car like a GTD you really shouldn’t need to. A real pity I have to wait until 3rd to put my foot down when it is wet….still feeling too tight to buy a pair of Michelins for the fronts when those Bridgestones have lots of life left in them. A puncture would definitely make my mind up (probably just jinxed myself there).

I’m sure if we took our slippy GTDs back to the dealers in the wet to demonstrate a lack of effective anti-tramping measures and ask for a warranty fix, we’d be told to use less throttle (maybe that is the anti-tramping system, have a lighter right foot).