Author Topic: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport  (Read 36182 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2014, 22:20 »
Of course I can make the computer show a higher number but not driving in a realistic manner. Bottom line, the GTD is more thirsty than expected, even when taking into account the bloated book figure.

So perhaps you have an issue... it happens.

What sort of driving? Lots of short journeys? Town driving?

In the end, I don't drive slowly and in general driving since I've had the car I've averaged 46mpg and can easily achieve 50 on a run... if you were expecting much better than that given the performance delivered then I think you're being over optimistic. IME, the GTD delvers better fuel consumption than the BMW 120d M-Sport by about 2mpg on a similar cycle...

If you're desperate for low fuel consumption perhaps you should have bought a BlueMotion?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2014, 13:26 »
No, not especially short journeys. Most common journey (to work) is about 25 miles, mostly dual carriageway/motorway.

Not especially bothered about the mpg - I just expected it to be better. We can go back and forth about whether those expectations are realistic or not, but they are, after all, my expectations.

I wonder whether the length of the ever growing real world mpg thread on this board means that others shares similar expectations?

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2014, 14:42 »
I wonder whether the length of the ever growing real world mpg thread on this board means that others shares similar expectations?

It might do. I don't know. I thought it was just people sharing information. I learned the hard way with my 58-plate 123d... thought I'd average over 50mpg, in reality I saw 44-45... Not the car's fault. When you look into the official tests you realise that there is no way the figures they generate are achievable in the real world.

You have summed it up, though, good figures can be achieved, if you drive gently. If you choose not to drive gently then surely you should adjust your expectations... there's always a penalty...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 16 May 2014, 13:04 »
My GTD has 5400 miles on it now and the mpg's are improving all the time. When i first got the car i couldnt get any more than 34mpg on my daily commute now its up to 40's. i know its slightly warmer outside but not my much so if you persevere you will get better mpgs once the car is run in.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.