Author Topic: Water Spot Finishing Spray - When Drying In Hot Weather?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
I'm chasing my car around like a crackhead trying to quickly dry it with multiple drying towels before the water spots dry... I'm losing every time!

Any ideas for any PH neutral finishing sprays/detailers to prevent/stop or get rid of water spots (Post wash water spots, not etched in old ones). (YouTube seems a tad useless on this topic, especially for the UK).

I have only washed my car once this summer, due to the heat wave and direct sun light. I can only wash it on Saturdays during the day and it's always hot and sunny.... Sucks, as Saturdays have always been my therapy day, just me bonding with my car by massaging it to be nice and clean again.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Water Spot Finishing Spray - When Drying In Hot Weather?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2022, 17:48 »
So a finishing spray / quick detailer won't stop you getting waterspots. Waterspots are mineral despoits caused by the minerals in your local water, a DI Vessel is what you'd be after to solve your issue.

A DI Vessel will filter your water and remove the minerals from your local water, but it will only filter so many litres before the filter (resin) will need changed so you should only use the DI vessel to do the final spray over.

Example below:
https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk/products/vyair-11-litre-resin-water-filter-vessel-blue?variant=38098055889089&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwi8iXBhBeEiwAKbUofazsdTAas9mAW8KETuJNarxJPXExzW8e7GqtHBhns5D-6Pzd7t75ghoCQnQQAvD_BwE

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2022, 18:00 »
After washing and drying, i wipe the car over with Finish Kare Ultra. Removes all water marks...takes about 10 minutes.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2022, 18:07 »
After washing and drying, i wipe the car over with Finish Kare Ultra. Removes all water marks...takes about 10 minutes.

Harder Waterspotting can mark the paint which requires polishing to remove, working on an M3 at the minute that has suffered it, not all paint is the same and not every house gets the same water  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2022, 19:19 »
Up here in the North West, not an issue - nice, soft water and lots of it😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2022, 21:25 »
It’s very hard water in East Anglia where I live so water spotting could be an issue in warm sunny weather.

In ‘normal’ years (no heatwave or drought), if my car’s dirty during the summer months and needs washing and it’s going to be a hot sunny day, I get up extra early so I can get it washed before the sun’s too high in the sky and at full strength so I can avoid water spotting issues. If for whatever reason I’m not able to work my car washing around the weather, then I’ll leave it dirty for a few more days.

Although we don’t currently have restrictions on water usage because of the drought conditions (I think there’s been just one or two short spells of light rain in the last last two months ), my car’s not getting washed as often as it would normally be - IMHO there are more important uses for water than car washing, so the car can wait.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2022, 21:42 »
As has been said if possible I try to avoid the conditions that will give me water spots but if I do get them I use Koch Chemie FSE to remove them and also gives a good shine as well.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2022, 22:27 »
Water softener the house and innocently include the outside tap? :lipsrsealed:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2022, 09:44 »
So a finishing spray / quick detailer won't stop you getting waterspots. Waterspots are mineral despoits caused by the minerals in your local water, a DI Vessel is what you'd be after to solve your issue.

A DI Vessel will filter your water and remove the minerals from your local water, but it will only filter so many litres before the filter (resin) will need changed so you should only use the DI vessel to do the final spray over.

Example below:
https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk/products/vyair-11-litre-resin-water-filter-vessel-blue?variant=38098055889089&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwi8iXBhBeEiwAKbUofazsdTAas9mAW8KETuJNarxJPXExzW8e7GqtHBhns5D-6Pzd7t75ghoCQnQQAvD_BwE

Great tip about only using it to do the final spray - makes sense. Cheers!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2022, 09:52 »

Harder Waterspotting can mark the paint which requires polishing to remove, working on an M3 at the minute that has suffered it, not all paint is the same and not every house gets the same water  :wink:

I might give this a try  :smiley:

With the M3 that you're working on, surely the Finish Kare Ultra would minimise/eliminate 99% of the potential etching from the water spots, if done straight after the wash, maybe?? I have a few good etched water spots in that crappy area where the boot meets the rear bumper. Used a DA with Meguiars compound and I can't shake them haha. I'm no pro though!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1