Author Topic: What does this button do?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline number_six

• Not said much yet
What does this button do?
« on: 05 November 2003, 23:25 »

I have a 2001 MK4 3dr 1.8T. I have noticed a small square button inside at the bottom of the pillar by the drivers door, near the back seat footwell.  Is this a silly question but what does it do? I've pressed it and it doesn't do anything.  I was quite hoping that a secret panel would flip out by the dash and my arches would swell out!  8)

But I kept pressing it looking and turning my head round the inside of the car like a mad man looking for something to happen ???

Offline D Owen

• GTI forum regular
Re:What does this button do?
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2003, 08:05 »
This has got something to do with the car alarm - and that's about as far as my explanation will go.

Maybe someone else can tell us in more detail what the button does.

kniterider

« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2003, 09:06 »
yep our right it is something to do with the alarm, i never got the golf handbook with mine only the service history so cant explain too much, i think it switches internal microwave sensors or whatever they are on and off, so you can arm alarm with windows and roof open

Offline Franko180

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2003, 12:50 »
Yup that button cuts off the sensors, for leaving windows open or even pets in the car.

Another button question for anyone -  I have the winter pack and whilst i think its great I still haven't found out when the heated windscreen jet nozels come on, anyone know? Are they activated when you use the heated seats or is it when you use the heated rear window switch?

Previous - GTI 1.8T 1999, GTI 1.8T 2000
Current  - GTI 1.8T 180bhp 2003  :-)

kniterider

« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2003, 14:24 »
dont know matey, havent got such luxuries on mine! lol

Offline Rally_Chris

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2003, 08:44 »
The heated nozzles are apparently switched on automatically when the ignition is on and the external temp sensor detects a temperature below a certain level (maybe 5 degrees as with the ice warning on the dash?).

http://www.golfmk4.co.uk
Mk4 Cruise Control Installation Expert

kniterider

« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2003, 15:59 »
right been playing with that switch for the alarm, has any one got a mk4 golf manual explaining it? when i press it how do you know wether its on or off!, if any ones got a golf manual and chance of ya scanning the page and emailing it to me? furiousandfast74@aol.com if any 1 can help?

Offline rac_gti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2003, 20:17 »
kniterider..
I have use this alarm button few time .. it only need press once then alarmed it as i have a dog in car ..
When u returned to the car and open the car by remote it will turn back to normal as it was ok
But i have the manual book of vw's and dunno if u want me to scan it to ya or not ?
VW Golf mk4 GT TDI 130 3 door silver

kniterider

« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2003, 20:31 »
can do matey didnt get 1 with mine!, yeah when ever ya get time just send em to furiousandfast74@aol.com cheers mate!