Author Topic: Golf Mk7 GT TDI Shock Absorbers  (Read 9841 times)

Offline golferman

• Just got here
Golf Mk7 GT TDI Shock Absorbers
« on: 17 November 2013, 12:18 »
From the day I took delivery of my Mk7 Golf 2Ltr GT TDI  5 Months ago I noticed a knocking or rattling noise comming from the rear end, I retuned to the dealer and he said it is the rear shock absorbers, all MK 7 GT's are the same, he car'nt do anything about it untill V.W.come up with a modification or replacement shocker !  V.W.UK Customer services said they are aware of this problem however V.W. Germany do not acknowledge there is a problem but they (VW UK ) will continue to push for some action, in the meantime I will have to put up with it, as more people complain is is more likely VW Wolfsberg will do somthing about it. The noise is more noticeable around 30 / 40 MPH and the sound could be decribed as the same as a loose top mounting.

Offline George k

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf Mk7 GT TDI Shock Absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2013, 16:00 »
Germany are aware of issue and have tried at least one type of new shocker but it didn't cure noise so went back to Germany to develop further. Fix will not be released until they are 100% certain it will work

Offline golferman

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2013, 11:10 »
Thanks for your reassuring response George, Hopefully the shock absorber problem will be resolved soon. If all Mk7 GT models have this problem (ref Dealer)  it could be a big issue for  V.W.

Offline golferman

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2014, 14:51 »
Further to my post regarding Mk7 Golf GT TDI Noisy Rear Shock Absorbers.
Customer services arranged for my local retailer to fit new shockers however there was no improvement. Customer services now say nothing more can be done as this problem is common on all this model Golf I will have to live with it. I find it totally unacceptable to have to tollerate noisy shock absorber on a new car.  Be warned, I did not find this out untill I took delivery of the car.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2014, 18:07 »
Well its not common on my car so maybe worth kicking off a bit. Don't think anyone else in here has noisy shocks either.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2014, 06:43 »
Well its not common on my car so maybe worth kicking off a bit. Don't think anyone else in here has noisy shocks either.
Kyle - seems like it's a problem with GT's rather than GTD.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2014, 07:38 »
over on another forum loads of them are saying they have noisy suspension on GT's. hopefully not a trait that develops on our gtd's  :huh:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2014, 07:41 »
The GT suspension isn't lowered as much as the GTD/GTI - 10mm on the GT and 15mm on the GTD/GTD, maybe the shocks are different too. The GTs and SEs don't seem to be suffering from as many suspension mount bearing failures as us though.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2014, 19:18 »
The GTs and SEs don't seem to be suffering from as many suspension mount bearing failures as us though.
True - I still reckon it's something to do with the effect of the rigid shipping spacers on the front mounts of the GTI/D suspension's reduced travel.  Surprising that VW don't seem to be able to find a cheaper alternative to having to keep on forking out for warranty repairs (not to mention irritating their customers...).
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2014, 16:38 »
True - I still reckon it's something to do with the effect of the rigid shipping spacers on the front mounts of the GTI/D suspension's reduced travel.  Surprising that VW don't seem to be able to find a cheaper alternative to having to keep on forking out for warranty repairs (not to mention irritating their customers...).

I doubt it is to do with the spacers many cars have these fitted for shipping and suffer no strut bearing mount issues. I suspect that it is more likely a bad batch with some sort of contamination of the bearing surfaces or the lubricant...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)