Author Topic: Sport button as standard on GTD?  (Read 11431 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Sport button as standard on GTD?
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2013, 20:57 »
The dampers are different, as I understand it so not just a software configuration change...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2013, 21:00 »
Does anyone think the option of comfort would be able to be enabled via vcds? Surely the full suspension system won't be different on cads equipped with DCC?

Are you looking for everything to be in sport except the ACC/DCC dampers set to comfort? This is probably possible in "individual mode".
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2013, 08:39 »
Does anyone think the option of comfort would be able to be enabled via vcds? Surely the full suspension system won't be different on cads equipped with DCC?

Are you looking for everything to be in sport except the ACC/DCC dampers set to comfort? This is probably possible in "individual mode".

I thought he was asking whether DCC could be enabled via VCDS...

You're answer assumes the car is fitted with DCC...

In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2013, 08:59 »
Corgi: That is my assumption, because you can't have comfort without DCC. VCDS cannot enable hardware that isn't there (the DCC system, on a car that doesn't have it specced).

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2013, 09:14 »
VCDS cannot enable hardware that isn't there

Absolutely...

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2013, 09:52 »
VCDS cannot enable hardware that isn't there

Absolutely...

But sometimes it is amazing what is actually there that VW want to charge you extra for. On My Scirocco, XDS was a £280 option, but all the hardware was there, just needed activating in VCDS – I wonder what goodies are waiting undiscovered for the MK7 GTI/GTD.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2013, 10:02 »
Understood, MH but as I understand it XDS is an electronic locking diff and therefore requires no hardware?

In that situation, VW really were charging a lot for very little...

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2013, 19:07 »
What is different about a car equipped with DCC and one without, apart from being able to select comfort. I can't accept they'll have a completely different suspension set up.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2013, 19:14 »
The standard car has normal springs and dampers.

A DCC equipped car has dampers which have damper oil which when you apply a magnetic field to it (via electromagnets built into the struts/rear dampers) becomes thicker and increases the damping level of the suspension. Obviously with newer systems like the Mk7 Golf, this is variable and has multiple levels of damping.

The struts and rear dampers are completely different between standard/DCC equipped and it would be prohibitively expensive to retrofit the system.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2013, 19:17 »
The standard car has normal springs and dampers.

A DCC equipped car has dampers which have damper oil which when you apply a magnetic field to it (via electromagnets built into the struts/rear dampers) becomes thicker and increases the damping level of the suspension. Obviously with newer systems like the Mk7 Golf, this is variable and has multiple levels of damping.

The struts and rear dampers are completely different between standard/DCC equipped and it would be prohibitively expensive to retrofit the system.

Has this been confirmed? Just can't understand how I can change my suspension from normal, eco and sport but not comfort.

Obviously would expect not to be able to if there's a different suspension set up. But could imagine if cars have different set ups it'll be hard for a dealership to service?