Author Topic: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??  (Read 19650 times)

Offline tuscan

• Not said much yet
GTD - Standard or performance diesel??
« on: 11 July 2013, 10:54 »
Hi Ive never owned a relatively high performance diesel before, I've always had petrol. so was just wondering if you guys will be using standard diesel or something like V Power diesel?

Does it make any difference?

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2013, 11:01 »
This might best go on the brand new TDI section?
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=128.0

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2013, 11:06 »
Mods - could we move to the child board at top of page :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2013, 11:08 »
As long as you avoid Morrisons diesel you should be fine with any. Some people use Shell V power only or bp ultimate only and say its quieter etc. If your using shell from new then in theory your new gtd should remain cleaner.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2013, 12:58 »
As long as you avoid Morrisons diesel you should be fine with any.

Straight up - what's wrong with Morrisons diesel? Isn't all petrol/diesel regulated to a very high standard in this country?

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2013, 13:11 »
It's got a higher percentage of bio-diesel in it than all the others. Last time I checked the pump it was 7%.

It doesn't really matter as most OEM's stipulate a seals package on their fuel systems up to 10% capable, and warranty them for 5%. It's personal preference if you choose to use it. Some feel it helps, others feel it hinders.

It's all the same from the refinery, it just has different additives added to it prior to arriving at the forecourt.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2013, 14:58 »
It's got a higher percentage of bio-diesel in it than all the others. Last time I checked the pump it was 7%.

It doesn't really matter as most OEM's stipulate a seals package on their fuel systems up to 10% capable, and warranty them for 5%. It's personal preference if you choose to use it. Some feel it helps, others feel it hinders.

It's all the same from the refinery, it just has different additives added to it prior to arriving at the forecourt.

I get ya. It's the additives they add post production that make it an inferior product at the pump.

Call me naive but why would they be adding additional additives to their diesel if it makes it worse? Furthermore adding additional additives is an extra, post production expense yet they still manage to under cut the big boys (slightly).

Still not clear on this  :undecided:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2013, 17:15 »
Morrisons use more Bio diesel stuff than any other petrol stations (apparently). VW's dont run too well on bio diesel and the tuning company next to where I live said he'd had a quite a few VW's in that had been using morrisons diesel and it had caused issues ie lumpy running, poor mpg's.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2013, 17:49 »
Morrisons use more Bio diesel stuff than any other petrol stations (apparently). VW's dont run too well on bio diesel and the tuning company next to where I live said he'd had a quite a few VW's in that had been using morrisons diesel and it had caused issues ie lumpy running, poor mpg's.

Biodiesel has a different combustion profile that screws with DPF regens, VAG TDI technology does not like biofuels.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2013, 22:02 »
Ok, lets get rid of some smoke and mirrors. It's the FUEL SYSTEM that issues are caused through. This is normally to do with progressively higher combustion pressures that are being used to get diesels through tighter and tighter emissions legislations. EURO 6 being most recent, at which point injection systems are heading towards 6000BAR injection pressure. PD engines (early years up to 05) were ok with lower concentrations, higher spec ones  mk5 140pd etc didn't like it so much because of the below.

The Bio-diesel content of it corrodes the rubber components (Seals etc) in the high pressure side especially. Viton is the usual replacement as Nitrile just doesn't cut it. OEM's normally guarantee their fuel system to 10% biodiesel content, and it is the manufacturers choice what they warranty up to which is usually lower. I used to be employed by a tier 1 OEM diesel fuel system supplier hence how I know this.

It does have a different profile chemically, but whilst employed by them I never ONCE heard of it being an issue with the DPF. That's not to say it doesn't mess around with it, but generally it presents as running rough or missing (cold start predominantly due to waxing temp).