Author Topic: Harry's "BORING" Project - Mk3 GTI 16v  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Harry's "BORING" Project - Mk3 GTI 16v
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2012, 15:43 »
Right, now we're getting down to it.

Sadly there's no such thing as 'a bit of fun' on the 'ring.

Unless you have checked through the policy wording of your policy I would suggest you're not insured.  Virtually all UK insurance policies have exclusions for the 'ring, despite the fact that it is a public road in German law.

You cannot get 'track insurance' to cover the cost of the barriers.  You are not on a 'track day' you're on a public road. If anything goes wrong and you smash up the car and take out several metres of barriers you're in for a third party claim.  In the office after an accident they will be looking for you to pay for the damage there and then.  The cost is likely to run into thousands and if you cannot pay you will need to hand over insurance details.  If you're not covered due to the policy exclusion, the insurance company will pay on your behalf and come and reclaim those costs from you.

If you hit someone as you smash up your car (and it's easily done) then you'll be in for the cost of their car and any medical bills as well.  Unless you genuinely have cover then your insurance company will come after those costs as well.  This sort of bill could run into six figures easily.

Your best option is to look at doing a track day, which start at around £500.  Maybe that seems a lot, but you can have four drivers on that, so if you have mates you can trust and you're doing a 'tour of Europe' then choose the best car for the day and agree to play by 'big boys rules' - you bend it, you break it.

You can easily do enough laps with a well-maintained car between you on that day to bring the per-lap cost down to the cost of a busy day of TF lapping.... but you're unlikely to get a busy day of TF lapping due to people going out there to have 'a bit of fun' and flinging their cars into the barriers and closing the track.

My non-legal advice would be to use OEM rubber bushes on the suspension - they last better and you're unlikely to notice any difference vs new OEM.  Oh and throw the coilovers away and get some proper suspension.

As you're buying wheels I would suggest, if you want your 'bit of fun' car to handle well you weigh the wheels you have to see which are lighter (instead of going with what looks cool) and make sure you fit those - lighter wheels make a huge difference to the handling of the car.

So if you read carefully, you'll see advice, not insults.  If you were looking for a sea of nodders you have probably come to the wrong place.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2012, 15:47 »
Just to re-iterate what DH has said regarding cost of armco have a look about half way down this link for an idea of costs should you bin it:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/prices.php

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2012, 18:09 »
Maybe its just the way you read it but no insults here -

What you planning for strapping yourself in?

Oh and throw a lightened flywheel in when you replace the clutch  :cool:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

VW BUSH

« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2012, 18:21 »
Will you be taking it on a Trailer or nursing it back home on three cylinders and no brakes/tyres :grin: