Author Topic: A bellends MK3 1.6 Golf. Mystic Blue 3door - Recaro's or BBS RX-II's?  (Read 70527 times)

Bellend

So picked up a 3 door MK3. No pictures yet because I don't have a phone (at 17 as well  :grin:). Well the screens broken anyhow.

Cambelt had gone so I bought it to fix and drive.

Had it thirty seconds and first issue, it was so low the back wheels fell off the trailer four times.  :grin: Beached itself on the chassis, rear ARB rear beam.  :laugh: Nearly crushed me too.  :grin:

But got it off and towed it into the yard. Was gonna put another head on it when my boss said get on to SMF and get four valves. So I did and put them in quite a nice job actually.

Unfortunately though quite a few bits were missing, TB, rocker cover, cam pulley, airbox, exhaust heatsheild and a few other bits and bolts. So although I had the head resting on the block within two and a half hours I was stuck. But today a Polo MPI sacrificed it's parts for my new Golf.  :grin:

It's a clean car though, previous owner has really cared for it, just it looks like it's been washed with a sponge.  :sick: So I'll have to get the rotary out and get polishing!

Few styling features I'm not too set on, MK4 look headlights a bit too bling for me, Depo smoked long crystal indicators and fake fogs. I've took them off and put the sidelight bulb holder in orange indicators and used tinted blanks for now, want to get some Anni indicators and fogs like Kells/VR6Joe. It's got smoked M3s on the rear but I've put some homemade red rears on the back for now. The exhaust is a letterbox style but huge so that's got to go.

Recaros are going in the front with electric windows and mirrors. NEEDS some decent wheels and putting some FK Koni coils on it.

But first job is the engine. I'm just gonna go prime my rocker cover at 11PM.  :grin:

I had a 1.4 before but before I even got to drive it someone didn't stop in some traffic while my brother in law was driving.  :cry:

Get some piccies tomorrow!
« Last Edit: 24 April 2010, 23:51 by Bellend »

Offline Dec

• I live here
Re: A bellends MK3 1.6 Golf. Mystic Blue 3door
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2010, 11:27 »
Do they have rear ARB's? Asked a few people and they don't seem to think they do.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2010, 11:31 »
Also I would re-consider the use of FK Koni coilovers... mixing up two makes could be a terrible ride :)

Bellend

« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2010, 11:41 »
Do they have rear ARB's? Asked a few people and they don't seem to think they do.

Dunno, my boss just went "It's stuck on the ARB again".

Didn't look I was jacking the front up.  :grin:

Oh and Konig you b!tch.  :grin: :tongue:

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2010, 11:51 »
Oh right, as far as I know Mk3 1.6's dont have them, joe said his doesnt :undecided:

And Konig make wheels :tongue:

FK and Koni both make coilovers, but are separate companies lol

Koni

FK

:wink:

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2010, 13:50 »
Oh right, as far as I know Mk3 1.6's dont have them, joe said his doesnt :undecided:

And Konig make wheels :tongue:

FK and Koni both make coilovers, but are separate companies lol

Koni

FK

:wink:

Youve clearly never heard of FK konigsports then.

Koni damper inserts in FK coilover bodies with FK springs.

Theyre good sh!t, cost about 800 quid though!
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2010, 15:07 »
If the OP had written it properly, it wouldnt have made me wonder what on earth he was on about :rolleyes: :smiley:

Bellend

« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2010, 16:50 »
Got a bit done today, not loads. Monday I'm sure it will be running. But first off:

&

Who wins?

That'd be piston.  :grin:

Well waterpump took a little longer then I thought and jacking it up was fun. Let's push it onto some wood, oh wait it's grounded out, OK tow rope + Rover.   :grin: Then little jack then big trolley jack.

Got water pump done and all timed up but after turning the engine over twice by hand I could see for sure it's out a tooth, then home time anyways. So Monday I have to:

- Bolt up Inlet manifold
- Bolt up TB
- Re-set timing
- Check it runs

Then just put it all back together.

While bored waiting for the cambelt to come I put on Vento headlights and grill, but am quite unsure on it TBH. It's only got a Golf bonnet on it ATM but the white bonnet in the background will be going on it and resprayed.

Pics.

Mighty 1.6 powerplant (at 17 it's far more then enough power TBH):

Shawty got low:

Rear, think I prefer the lights on the left, thoughts?:

Pics are chit because I rushed, couldn't see much and I'm not a great photographer anyway although would love to get into it.

Plans:

Well who wants plans, they change. Other then the exhaust at the back will most definitely go and I can't weigh up between Recaro front seats or BBS RXII alloys. The steels have got to go.

Oh and once it's on the road it will be getting a full wash and machine polish with Autoglym SRP for the swirls. The boss has promised to remove the dent on the tailgate and drivers wing and respray a spare passenger wing I have (to delete aerial) and the bonnet will be resprayed with the bottom of the grill.

Enjoy.

Oh and the self tinted fog blanks and orange indicators are for two reasons:

1. It had "Depo" fog blanks and indicators smoked crystal which I wasn't a fan of and
2. It pissed off my boss and his wife.  :grin:
« Last Edit: 23 April 2010, 16:53 by Bellend »

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2010, 18:13 »
What was the insurance quote on that again?

:grin: :tongue:

:lipsrsealed:
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Bellend

« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2010, 22:46 »