Author Topic: trying to change mk4 steering wheel any help would be very greatful  (Read 13350 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Urban myth or not, the thing is..........................  For the 10 seconds it takes to undo the negative terminal with a ratchet & 10 mm socket, is it worth the risk?

The airbag could snap your neck if your face is close enough!
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
It's one of those classic urban myths handed down from father to son.You can quite safely disconnect the airbag(s) with the battery still connected and nothing will happen unless you turn the ignition on,when it will record a fault condition of "airbag not detected" or similar that is only a warning light and nothing more,and can be switched off by plugging in a diagnostic tool.

That is mad, I worked in the motor trade for 10 years and was always told to disconnect the battery, your nuts if you dont.

What worries me is people will read this and think it is ok to do it.

Show me one airbag that has gone off due to not taking the battery off or a short circuit and i'll take my words back.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
It's one of those classic urban myths handed down from father to son.You can quite safely disconnect the airbag(s) with the battery still connected and nothing will happen unless you turn the ignition on,when it will record a fault condition of "airbag not detected" or similar that is only a warning light and nothing more,and can be switched off by plugging in a diagnostic tool.

That is mad, I worked in the motor trade for 10 years and was always told to disconnect the battery, your nuts if you dont.

Show me one airbag that has gone off due to not taking the battery off or a short circuit and i'll take my words back.

i've heard of it happening.  Alan in work with me used to work with Land Rover and he said it happened once, not to him, but one of the apprentices working there. 

Anyhoo - back to the OP; did you get it fitted? any lights come on?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
^^As above I have heard and seen it happen, they go off like a bomb and will do serious damage if your close enough.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
i've also seen it happen.. i p!ssed myself laughing but the guy who had his head near the steering wheel with a screwdriver in his hand strangely didn't see the funny side. That could've ended a lot nastier than it did.

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"

exactly i was always told this and its a procedure i would follow !!
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
Any pics of these mk4's with blown airbags????

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
mk4? that wasn't even out when i saw the airbag blow.. and neither were camera phones.. infact digital cameras were still a gimmick back then :grin: The airbag technology is still the same.. and so are the risks. Maybe it went off because he poked something he shouldn't have.. either way it wouldn't have happened if he bothered to unhook the battery.

Offline Gozza

• I live here
Apologies to drag this topic up again but a I wanted to put my point across and b have a question  :grin:. I agree, only take a few minutes to disconnect the battery so not worth the worry.

Sorry to highjack but does anyone know what is needed to replace a deployed airbag on a multifunction wheel ?

Thanks