Author Topic: 'Race Tube'  (Read 1884 times)

Offline hickles

• Not said much yet
'Race Tube'
« on: 21 September 2011, 14:02 »
so been looking at getting a new exhaust for my car as its leaking and want a nicer sounding note coming from the rear end, i have a 1.8t agu.

seen these 'race tubes' as they call them, a bolt on jobby that takes away the centre silencer.
anyone got one of these or heard one? id probably still be using the standard gti back box as i dont want a rediculously loud noise.
thanks.
Turbo power!

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
Re: 'Race Tube'
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2011, 15:48 »
Assuming its the same type of thing i got. ( Mid section died. replaced with a peice of stainless untill i get it sorted (he says a year on  :grin: ))

doesent sound too bad. quite raspy though. and untill the exhaust is warm it doesent sound too good.

imo ide go for a full miltek system or simelar if you can afford

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2011, 17:27 »
15 quid from Unipart, 1.9tdi center section.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

jamie16v

« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2011, 18:08 »
+1 not that i have had one, but would be exactly the same thing as a race tube but wont say race tube on it..

Offline thatwillis

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2011, 19:57 »
+1 not that i have had one, but would be exactly the same thing as a race tube but wont say race tube on it..

Yeah i have one here sitting next to me. From uni part. fitting it how ever isnt as simple as it sounds. You need to cut the middle box out as there is only a brreak in front of the middle the box not after. Hoping someone can correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't had a proper go at fitting it yet.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2011, 20:14 »
They can sound a little raspy untill coked up.

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2011, 22:08 »
I have got one with my standard rear box and tbh not that much louder. You do have to cut the pipe after the centre section but I did mine on a ramp and had tools and was easy  :smiley:
For £17,50 I thought it was worth the play under the car  :smiley:

jamie16v

New suspension kit.
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2011, 10:09 »
There should be dimples in the exhaust at the point where it needs to be cut. Near where it goes over the axle.

Offline houston

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2011, 12:18 »

Yeah i have one here sitting next to me. From uni part. fitting it how ever isnt as simple as it sounds. You need to cut the middle box out as there is only a brreak in front of the middle the box not after. Hoping someone can correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't had a proper go at fitting it yet.

the front of the pipe slips over the cat pipe and you use a u clamp to tighten it, the rear reuses the vw sleeve, youll need new coach bolts for it but other than that its a straight swap.

id personally not recommend it, mines been on for over 4k miles and it still sounds like its blowing, had it on the ramps numerous times and theres no leaks, even went through mot with it on. even people comment on it saying exhaust has blown, very annoying. mine should be comin off in the next few days when i fit the stainless system

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2011, 18:19 »
Mine was OK  :huh:

Did have an aftermarket backbox on though.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19