Author Topic: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc  (Read 109615 times)

Offline Awry

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2010, 16:26 »
Only problem I have so far is the famous wastegate rattle when accelerating briskly in the 2300-3000 rpm range.
Reflex Silver MK6 GTI 3-door DSG, DCC, Sunroof, 18" Detroit, Xenons, LED tail lights, RCD 510, Dynaudio, Media-in, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Winter Pack.

Added Milltek 3" Race exhaust and H&R suspension.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2010, 16:48 »
The only problem I have so far is Paint issues's and picking up stone chips !! But everthing else is sweet :wink:

Just to say though this is a major one to sort out?? The paintwork is just to soft, and its just picking stone chips like there is no tommrow.  :sick:
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 17:29 by Steve30 »

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline ErikGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2010, 17:38 »
I am fully expecting the MK6 to inherit most / all the problems the MK5 had.

That is a very strange remark don't yo think..... :huh:

I myself have discovered already a small list of improvements over the MK V after a couple of weeks driving.....must be my optimistic half.... :laugh:
I'LL BEAT YOU TO THE BBC STUDIO........

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2010, 17:49 »
I am fully expecting the MK6 to inherit most / all the problems the MK5 had.

That is a very strange remark don't yo think..... :huh:

I myself have discovered already a small list of improvements over the MK V after a couple of weeks driving.....must be my optimistic half.... :laugh:

that's gyf1 Alan for you!! :laugh:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2010, 19:32 »
A couple of minor creaks from the rear (a la Kev's). Otherwise, spot on.

Offline steven_9709

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2010, 19:58 »
Front passenger side wheel arch - access plate to fog lights missing - replaced under warranty

Rear driver side alloy - possible white worm - alloy being replaced under warranty

Passenger seat - persistant squeak/rubbing noise from base of seat. Car's already been back and had the lumber mechanism changed but hasn't fixed it - going back in this weekend.

RCD310 - track details sticking, sometimes skips first few secs of track

Central locking - occasional rubbing noise from drivers side door when locking.

Nothing much - main issue is the seat which is really irritating but hopefully that'll get fixed this weekend.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 20:02 by steven_9709 »
3 door Carbon Grey DSG, Leather, Xenons, Parking Sensors, 18" Monza Shadows.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2010, 20:05 »
Where's P3eeps? He had a MKV?   :laugh:

Other than my passenger door 'deadlocking' and being stuck locked for 2 weeks the day after I picked it up  :shocked: I had no problems with my MK5 at all!

My MK6 has a couple of minor problems...
Rev counter dial has a patch of scratches on it.
Bonnet is slightly unaligned at one side.
Drivers door wind noise when driving fast - seemed to be dripping water on me this morning too!
'Ticking' noise coming from the drivers rear quarter area?  Seems to have stopped though.
No code supplied for my RCD510.  I need it so I can eBay it!

All have been noted by the dealer within the first 2 days of ownership.  I'm going up at the weekend to show them and make arrangements for getting them sorted.  I could have had it done last week - but I want to drive it  :evil:
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2010, 20:40 »
A silly little rattle around the drivers window, it seems to be level with my ear and is damn irritating!  I turn the stereo up and that covers over the noise from the rattling, not sure if the window is loose or what :huh:

Gizzy
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2010, 20:47 »
Whirring noise in Neutral - Knackered Gearbox. (GTD)
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 20:53 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline lowdown

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2010, 23:18 »
Having owned  Golf's from Mk 1 to Mk 5.  I have found that build quality is cyclical.

My current view is:  Volkswagen over-engineered the MK5, spent a lot of money to get the GTi back to the top, and now they are relaxing the grip.  The Mk 6 was introduced to reduce production costs and consequently the reputation for rattles etc may be coming back.  This is not to say the car is poor, because inevitably technology is advancing all the time and brings benefits, but perhaps not quite as good as it has been.

Obviously the recent Toyota debacle has highlighted what can happen when a car company takes its eye off the ball.