Author Topic: R20T  (Read 44931 times)

Offline Hairy Porter

• GTI forum regular
Re: R20T
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2009, 18:41 »
I wouldn't want one with VW's ancient V6.  The turbocharged 4 pot is a great engine, one of the best around.
I would want one with the haldex system.  No point buying if it's FWD.
Mk7 Frankfurt 2011 had better be good, I think Hondas new civic R might be a corker.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2009, 18:44 »

No V6

No 4wd

Not interested any more. I would rather get an Edition 30, remapped to 300bhp for half the price. Im sorry, but this whole carbon cutting bullcrap has ruined everything that made the R Golf model special.

Same here... In 2yrs time my money will be on an RS4 or a BMW equivalent.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2009, 18:47 »
i just dont get why if vauxhall can add a supercharger to their 2.8v6 (see insignia VXR thingymijigg) why cant VW do the same??

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2009, 18:53 »
I wouldn't want one with VW's ancient V6.  The turbocharged 4 pot is a great engine, one of the best around.
I would want one with the haldex system.  No point buying if it's FWD.
Mk7 Frankfurt 2011 had better be good, I think Hondas new civic R might be a corker.

I agree the 2.0 VW Turbo Charged engine is fantastic, I had a remapped MK5 GTI for 4 months and loved it. My issue is simply that all that car is now is a MK6 Golf GTI with a bit more power and an 'R Line' kit. Just like the R line kit you can now spec on a Passat, a Touran, a Tuigan.......you get my point.

They have taken away everything that made the R Golf special. End of. I never thought of the R32 as any better than the GTI, but what is was was different. We had a nice choice between the two, and getting into my R32 each day, it feels special. The GTI did too, but just in a different way.

Ah well, I will happily keep my R32 now for many years to come.

As you say, roll on the MK7, maybe by then people will have realised that the tree huggers were all talking crap and the world isnt going to end..... :sad:...maybe then we will get a new R model that lives up to the history of what it stands for.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline noj66

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2009, 18:53 »
I think it will be 4 wheel drive.Evo,Car,Autocar etc. all seem to think it will be,surely that must be based on connections within Wolfsburg.I hope so anyway.The talk of 280-300hp wouldn't go amiss either!
Nice vid on Scirocco Central of a Scirocco R20 being loaded on to a transporter.Exhaust sounds great.
Sorry i cant provide the link,not much good with computers! :smiley:

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 September 2009, 18:54 »
i just dont get why if vauxhall can add a supercharger to their 2.8v6 (see insignia VXR thingymijigg) why cant VW do the same??

+1!!!

Baffles me. Theres even talk that the new Astra VXR will have 4WD, same system as on the Insignia VXR.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2009, 18:57 »

+1!!!

Baffles me. Theres even talk that the new Astra VXR will have 4WD, same system as on the Insignia VXR.
Excuse me whilst I go throw up  :sick:

Im am seriously having R withdrawal symptoms :embarassed:

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2009, 18:59 »
I think it will be 4 wheel drive.Evo,Car,Autocar etc. all seem to think it will be,surely that must be based on connections within Wolfsburg.I hope so anyway.The talk of 280-300hp wouldn't go amiss either!
Nice vid on Scirocco Central of a Scirocco R20 being loaded on to a transporter.Exhaust sounds great.
Sorry i cant provide the link,not much good with computers! :smiley:

Here ya go (I assume this is the one you are talking about...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiiOZS64pxU&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: 11 September 2009, 19:01 by synnea »

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2009, 19:04 »
Yesterday I pulled over to see if I rev'd the engine nice n hard how the exhaust sounds.... it wouldnt even let me go over 4k revs  :shocked:

Do I have launch control???

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2009, 19:10 »
Oooh, I like the green Scirocco R on 19's. But it needs a 2.5T or V6.

I would really like the Golf R to have 4wd. But to justify 4WD over the FWD Scirocco's 265bhp surely it would need at least 280bhp? That would make it worth buying. Otherwise I think a GTI with a few mods makes sense. I guess we'll know next Tuesday.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2009, 19:12 by mac7 »
Golf R