Author Topic: R20T  (Read 44933 times)

Offline Hairy Porter

• GTI forum regular
R20T
« on: 11 September 2009, 13:21 »
Only a few days to go.
If it's 4WD I'm going to see my dealer on Wednesday to try and order one.
If it's FWD then I'm waiting for the Mk7.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2009, 18:21 by Hairy Porter »

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
Re: R20T
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2009, 13:53 »
Itll be 4WD - it has to be. If not then its just a remapped GTI.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline Hairy Porter

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2009, 14:18 »
Itll be 4WD - it has to be. If not then its just a remapped GTI.

Hope so.
The Golf turbo R is much more important to VW than the Portugese built Scirocco R20t (FWD).
Should chip up nicely.
My only worry is the Mk7 is due to be shown in two years.  If it is lighter and more nimble then the turbo R will possibly be seen as a money grabbing run-out model.

Offline SilverChariot

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2009, 15:10 »
Glad it's just not me! It will be 4WD... gotta be.

Don't worry about Mk7, the way things are going all cars will have to run on lentils by then. So, there'll be no performance models.  :rolleyes:
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
Golf R - 5 door - DSG - Rising Blue Metallic paint - 19" Gloss Black Talladegas - Leather - RNS 510 - Parking sensors - Cruise control

R Forum - The place to talk Rs: http://www.rforum.co.uk

Offline noj66

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2009, 15:18 »
I've left a deposit to be 'first' on the list at my local dealer.The lack of the usual 'leaks' in the car mags and weeklies is really frustrating.I'm hoping they pull out all the stops with the R20,maybe 19" wheels and some bodywork addenda to identify it from the GTI.
I had an S3 a couple of years ago and loved it.Drove the Mk6 GTI last weekend and loved that too,so a Frankenstein's monster of the two should be right up my street! :wink:

Offline Fred_du_94

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2009, 16:53 »
Those who think that the MK7 is scheduled in 2 years are dreaming.
Nothing has been disclosed officially by VW.

Do you really think the MK6 will only last 3 years while it is a complete hit ? mhhhh, think again...

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2009, 17:32 »
What Fred said. The MK6 will be with us for some time.

I cant believe people are talking about MK7s when I STILL !!!! haven't seen a MK6 GTI on the road. You MK6 GTI boys are a bit exclusive arent ya?

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2009, 17:46 »
The lack of the usual 'leaks' in the car mags and weeklies is really frustrating.

There have been pictures of a disguised red Golf R on GTI Monzas which let you see a fair bit of the shape of the front bumper intakes, rear bumper and side skirts. It's basically similarly styled to the Scirocco R.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_popup/newgallery2.php?postid=20354&gallerynum=0&defimage=http%3A%2F%2Fphotos.leftlanenews.com%2Fphotos%2Fimageresizeronfly%2FphpThumb.php%3Fsrc%3D%2Fphotos%2Fcontent%2Fmay2009%2Fvw-r20-813-2.jpg

Do you really think the MK6 will only last 3 years while it is a complete hit ? mhhhh, think again...

The Mk6 is just a mid-life re-engineering/facelift of the Mk5 platform, just like VW have done in the past with the Passat (B5/B5.5) and Polo. The platforms of late have had roughly a 7 year life span. So as the Mk5 came out in, what, 2005 (?) the next platform would be due to be shown sometime in 2011 and in the UK dealers early 2012. So 3 a year lifecycle for the Mk6 sound spot-on to me.
Golf R

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2009, 18:00 »
I have a feeling you're all going to be majorly dissappointed and that its going to be 2wd.
Most of the original reports said it would be 2wd to save weight.

I'm hoping I'm wrong - but we'll have to wait and see!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2009, 18:33 »
Well im gutted...if this is legit...

From this weeks autoexpress magazine

No V6

No 4wd

Not interested any more. I would rather get an Edition 30, remapped to 300bhp for half the price. Im sorry, but this whole carbon cutting bullcrap has ruined everything that made the R Golf model special.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2009, 18:35 by synnea »
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom