Author Topic: Remapping the mk6 GTI  (Read 41624 times)

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
Re: Remapping the mk6 GTI
« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2009, 17:10 »
Hi, I am new to the world of remapping... If just changing the air intakes and vents, will it void the warranty?

I agree that if VAG had a box to tick in order to increase 50hp, I would have done so. But sadly no deal. I dont think my dealership does remapping. I will check when I go pick up the car. Sigh any day now...

As to Gossa`s concern on manuals being more thirsty, he he he... hmmmm more study needs to be done. Am wondering whether the mkVIs have an indicator on the center of the speedometer to indicate what gear one should be in? Gossa? Because the GTI has it...

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2009, 17:19 »
A re-map just changes the ECU settings, there are no physical signs of having it done. It changes the turbo boost, fuel and ignition maps.
I would advise against asking the dealer when you pick the car up as it may blot your copybook when any warranty issues arise!!! If you're going to ask your dealer do it annonymously over the phone!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2009, 17:20 »
Hi, I am new to the world of remapping... If just changing the air intakes and vents, will it void the warranty?

I agree that if VAG had a box to tick in order to increase 50hp, I would have done so. But sadly no deal. I dont think my dealership does remapping. I will check when I go pick up the car. Sigh any day now...

As to Gossa`s concern on manuals being more thirsty, he he he... hmmmm more study needs to be done. Am wondering whether the mkVIs have an indicator on the center of the speedometer to indicate what gear one should be in? Gossa? Because the GTI has it...

HM

Yes the GTI has the gear indicator and I think that's the issue, I always thought my Scirroco DSG was in a hurry to get into top gear, it seems VW want us all to drive around under 3000rpm for emissions reasons but I am driving the manual in higher revs as driving around in 6th at 30mph at 2,500rpm aint my idea of fun.

Oh Alan, please give me some tips, you obviously know something I don't about driving a manual?

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2009, 17:23 »
ooooow.... I will then give it a miss.... 210bhp is more than sufficient for my everyday needs. Just thought I explore and at the same time being a little curious...
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2009, 18:17 »
Oh Alan, please give me some tips, you obviously know something I don't about driving a manual?

Oh the joys of the internet. I didnt mean my comment to come across how you appear to have taken it (Im assuming your comment is sarcasim?)

A physical person can get more MPG by sticking it in a higher gear than what a VW computer will do (possibly leaving it a lower gear than it could be).

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #25 on: 13 July 2009, 18:18 »
Thanks Gossa I look forward to hearing how your re-map goes and fuel economy improvements in the weeks to come!!!  Bet you're enjoying those country roads with your GTI.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2009, 18:40 »

Oh the joys of the internet. I didnt mean my comment to come across how you appear to have taken it (Im assuming your comment is sarcasim?)

A physical person can get more MPG by sticking it in a higher gear than what a VW computer will do (possibly leaving it a lower gear than it could be).

Yes Alan, a lot can get taken in a different light on a forum and i've only been on here for a few weeks and it does seem to be a very argumentative, sarcastic place if i'm honest.  I've just been on sciroccocentral for 6 months and it was a great place for info, ideas and feedback sharing etc and very good natured, this place seems like a perpetual slagging match between certain individuals, hence why I thought you were being a c0k. Sorry if that wasn't the case but you can see what i mean if you scroll through the threads.

Anyway mate, i'd disagree, that VW computer will have you in top gear quicker than winking and tonight it was telling me to change up at 2000rpm on the way to Tescos! I've always used the full rev range but am a smooth and sensible driver most of the time and I don't seem to get getting great economy so far.  I do however drive 'enthusiastically' on the right bit of road under the right circumstances.

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #27 on: 13 July 2009, 18:50 »
Ha ha ha 'enthusiastically' I love it. :laugh: :laugh:
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2009, 19:04 »
don't forget your mpg will increase the more miles you put on it.. its going to be running very tight for a few thousand miles yet!

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 13 July 2009, 19:16 »
Why re mapp,why not just go for a more powerfull car ?,no such thing as a free lunch,if it was as simple as just changing the eprom why would`nt vw just do it ?
Golfgti build quality is average at best.