Author Topic: Remapping the mk6 GTI  (Read 41619 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Remapping the mk6 GTI
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2009, 15:58 »
You do realise you're all quite mad, don't you?   :rolleyes:

Rolfe.

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2009, 16:02 »
I really am quite happy enough with the speed that I will get from my new GTI.  Where in this country are you going to be able to run it at the speed that you will get from a re-map?  All that is going to do imho is eat up loads of your money. :rolleyes:
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2009, 16:05 »
You don't have to drive the car flat out to reap the benefits of a remap Morag/gizzy. The masses of extra torque just makes the car easier to drive. Sort of turbo-Diesel torque mated to a quicker top end for overtaking.

Talking of which, I wonder when REVO will get the CR TDI 170 map sorted for the GTD?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2009, 16:10 »
I really am quite happy enough with the speed that I will get from my new GTI.  Where in this country are you going to be able to run it at the speed that you will get from a re-map?  All that is going to do imho is eat up loads of your money. :rolleyes:

A remap can provide better fuel economy too, it's not all about more speed but yes, it will be quicker for the situations that require it (overtaking etc).

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2009, 16:19 »
With the risk of having cyber stuff thrown at me I would say that a stage 1 remap is better value than most of the options on VWs price list! It can be used discreetly every single day. Don't knock it 'til ya try it springs to mind!
I agree up to a point with gizzy on the wasted money for road use when you're looking at changing full exhausts and cats and mega pricey intakes (stage 2) on a virtually brand new car for the limited extra they give you over just a plain stage 1 remap for ROAD USE.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2009, 16:23 »
Agreed mate, I bet if it was an option on the VW price list (+50HP £500) a lot of folks would be ticking that box.  Because it is an aftermarket tuning company many people seem to think it's modifying the car outside of it's limits and somehow risky.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2009, 16:25 »
some dealers do offer remaps  :nerd:

i know a couple of the MKV lads had theirs done through a local dealer

as has been said - its THE best value for money mod you can do  :cool:

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2009, 16:35 »
I know Gossa has his new car now so what mileage are you getting mate? and how much do you think the re-map would add?
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2009, 16:40 »
I know Gossa has his new car now so what mileage are you getting mate? and how much do you think the re-map would add?

Well averaging 28mpg and I do find it drinks the juice moreso than the Scirocco. However most of my miles are backroads between Dorset and Devon.  I'll ask them to tweak things based on how and where I drive and see what the gains are.

Seems the manual is thirstier than the DSG?

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2009, 16:56 »

Well averaging 28mpg and I do find it drinks the juice moreso than the Scirocco. However most of my miles are backroads between Dorset and Devon.  I'll ask them to tweak things based on how and where I drive and see what the gains are.

Seems the manual is thirstier than the DSG?

Should be the other round if the person in the manual knows how to drive it properly.