Author Topic: Tick, tock, year three countdown…  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Tick, tock, year three countdown…
« on: 08 August 2023, 18:41 »
The clock is ticking towards the end of my Clubsport’s warranty (December) and after the “bing bong” woes of earlier this year I’m nervous about owning it out of warranty.

To be fair it’s been fine over summer, not a bong for months and (touch wood) been generally trouble free over the 32(?) months I’ve had the car. Barely so much as a few tiny stonechips and a slight buckle in one of the aftermarket wheels owing to a huge pothole. The brand new originals can go back on come sale time.

It’s time to look at the options…

A Golf R? No point getting another Clubby and shelling out the thick end of £20k extra for the privilege. Not going to happen. Very reluctant to shell out £20k extra on an R despite having a loose order on one. I’d rather put that money into paying off a lump of mortgage because my 5 year deal ends in September/October. Max deposit and around £200 a month could see me in a PCP deal for the car ordered.
Pros: it’s a Golf, the rear diff, heated steering wheel
Cons: it’s a Golf, err… that’s about it. Oh, I’d need to service and MOT my Clubby before it’s built plus run it out of factory warranty which is dead money and risk.

An Audi S3 Black Edition. My lad has an S-Line and it’s a nice car so this is a big contender. Stupid high APR on PCP but £2.5k ‘contribution’. Similar list price to the R and also wouldn’t put my own savings into it. Better spent elsewhere.
Pros: no silver trim (just don’t like it on a performance car), available at short notice, it’s different yet familiar.
Cons:it’s a modern Audi, leather seats, no heated steering wheel (car kept outside and 5am cold start ups in winter)

MG4 Xpower. Why the hell not?! It’s different. Definitely wouldn’t want to sink too much cash into one but it’s mad fun.
Pros: FAST! A leap into the unknown. Can get one quick. Long warranty not that I’d keep it long. Can pre heat cabin to defrost in winter
Cons: where do I start? Expensive insurance, unknown parts supply if fixes are required, lowish rent interior, spongy seats.

A35 AMG.
Pros: good availability, low APR PCP, quite like the looks.
Cons: I’m not a middle class white female, probably loads of other things, I’ve not really thought it through.

M135i. Been there done that. Great car but… it’s just not drawing me in to consider another even though I’d not hesitate to recommend one as I can’t think of a bad thing about it.

Keep mine.
Current fave option. Would rather bin off mortgage debt than buy another car. Doubts remain whether getting a VW extended warranty would cover any bonging if they return when the weather cools again.
Pros: I own it, I really like it, it doesn’t cost £600 a year to tax
Cons: lack of faith in it remaining bong free

Opinions? Ridicule? Anything I’ve missed?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Tick, tock, year three countdown…
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2023, 19:06 »
Paying a mortgage off early is a nice target in life if that affects your decision making process to that degree.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2023, 19:06 »
The jump to an R for £20k.  For more bongs.
Sit in an A35 to see if the seats suit you.  Not for everyone.
The All In from VW must be looking an amazing deal.  Because it is.  Check it out carefully - you can even pay monthly!  Buy at up to age 6 too……
BONGS might even be fixed by then.
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2023, 19:26 »
As an a35 owner, I can’t recommend it. I’ve had so many issues with mine, and despite the local dealer being great, the supplying dealer were awful and amg customer support basically may as well not exist. For reference, it took them over 3 years to finally fix the seats which had sagging leather on delivery. It was a known issue with the cars and a fox was promised within 12 months. It also absolutely eats tyres, I got about 8000 miles out of the Pirelli’s it can on, and about 12000 out of a set of ps4s. A mate who does a bit more motorway sway numbers about 1000 miles more than that, but got 20000 out of the ps4s he had on his golf r. It’s a great car when it does work, and the interior is nicer, quality control issues aside, it’s just not as good to drive on British roads as the golf clubby/GTI imho.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2023, 20:03 »
Paying a mortgage off early is a nice target in life if that affects your decision making process to that degree.

Don’t fancy paying an extra £200 a month purely in interest charges out of some bankers whim. It grates with me.
I’ve got one eye on retirement and have dropped my earnings a lot in recent years.

The jump to an R for £20k.  For more bongs.
Sit in an A35 to see if the seats suit you.  Not for everyone.
The All In from VW must be looking an amazing deal.  Because it is.  Check it out carefully - you can even pay monthly!  Buy at up to age 6 too……
BONGS might even be fixed by then.

Will a new Golf with new hardware bong? I’m hopeful that it wouldn’t.
The all in one won’t be as comprehensive as the original factory warranty, it’s an insurance product after all.
Thanks for the A35 tip :afro:

As an a35 owner, I can’t recommend it.
Your previous posts on your A35 were at the forefront of my mind Doc. :afro:
Thanks for reaffirming, that one is definitely off my short shortlist now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2023, 20:27 »

Don’t fancy paying an extra £200 a month purely in interest charges out of some bankers whim. It grates with me.
I’ve got one eye on retirement and have dropped my earnings a lot in recent years.

Sounds like my journey and the GTI was part of the decision, IMO it’s definitely making it part of the mix.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2023, 20:28 »

Sounds like my journey and the GTI was part of the decision, IMO it’s definitely making it part of the decision mix.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2023, 20:47 »
@Exonian; go with your current favourite option; keep your car, get a good warranty and work at reducing / paying off your mortgage.

My car will be three years old next month and I’ve no plans to change it. There’s nothing wrong with it and it’s only covered around 12.5k miles so financially, IMHO it makes no sense to me to change it; I’ll be getting an extended warranty instead.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2023, 21:04 »
Only you can answer this one.  :smiley:
Me personally I wouldn't be owning a mk8 out of warranty and especially if they bring out a 8.5 as you know what VW are like. I know you wouldn't do what i would do. But just for reference If itvwas me i would drop back down to a 7.5 but that's just me.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2023, 21:05 »
It’s a tricky one, not helped by 14 hikes in the base rate.

I’ve extended the lease on my 7.5R twice now and it will run out next summer with the car aged 5. I’ll have to go through the same process as you - hot hatch ( if so which one ? A GTi with wheels, paint, HK is over £530 a month which is £250 more than the R ), a Tiguan R, an X1M35i, rs3, an m3…the list goes on and one and that’s before we discuss the horrors of insurance…

I appreciate I’ve been zero help by the way…

I’m beyond help so don’t worry about that side of things! 😁

RS3 was my longer term plan back along but Tractor Dave and ££££ have put me off that idea now.

M3 would be nice for a short while just for the hell of it but they’re £80k plus now, there are several parked up close to where I live, and they’re a bit too big for me. A great car to lease if you’re on a fat salary. Unlike my neighbours I lack the latter.

M135iX is a fab car and I’d recommend you try one. Trouble is us VW types tend to drift back to what we know.

@Exonian; go with your current favourite option; keep your car, get a good warranty and work at reducing / paying off your mortgage.

Wise words as ever SR

Unfortunately when it comes to cars I tend to go the slightly sensible side of absolutely stupid!

Oh Abarth 500e and next years Mini JCW Electric are also wildcards. I fancy trying electric to see how it goes. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner