Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2788915 times)

Offline jpo

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5090 on: 08 August 2016, 11:56 »
First trip back to the dealer after 6 months due a constant rattle. Went out for a drive with the mechanic who heard it straight away. He replaced some kind of trim on the back seat which was making the noise and also gave it a health check. Waited whilst it was done. Spent the last week doing a thousand miles up to Loch Ness and really saw what the car was made of. Stunned I haven't returned to speeding tickets because the thing is a beast on the A roads round Scotland!

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #5091 on: 08 August 2016, 12:54 »
Got Cuprinol 'Willow Green' paint all over the side of the car :sick: :sick:

We were painting some garden trellis on the front lawn last weekend (not spraying) and the car was at least 10-12 feet away and it would seem the paint has blown in the wind onto the car.

You can't see any trace of it on the silver bodywork but when I cleaned the car this weekend you could see tiny green dots on the gloss black parts of the car and tinted back windows so it must be all over the bodywork too.

I have got the paint off the black bits using clay and all is well, but it does mean I now need to do the whole car really for my own piece of mind.

Albeit no real harm done it has created me a load of unnecessary work and taught me a lesson not to use exterior wood paint anywhere near vehicles however the application  :cry: :cry:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #5092 on: 08 August 2016, 13:24 »
Just cheered myself up and bought a pedal box from DTUK  :evil:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #5093 on: 08 August 2016, 14:06 »
Loaded the PGPS Speed camera sites onto my MIB2 - test shows they appear where expected but not driven to test the warning sound yet - and fitted 130% Phillips bulbs into the Cornering Lights, after washing the car yesterday and coating with Topaz
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5094 on: 08 August 2016, 19:11 »
Does the mk7 sound a warning noise for poi?
I know the mk6 didn't as this was one of its negatives.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5095 on: 08 August 2016, 20:13 »

We were painting some garden trellis on the front lawn last weekend (not spraying) and the car was at least 10-12 feet away and it would seem the paint has blown in the wind onto the car.

You can't see any trace of it on the silver bodywork but when I cleaned the car this weekend you could see tiny green dots on the gloss black parts of the car and tinted back windows so it must be all over the bodywork too.

I have got the paint off the black bits using clay and all is well, but it does mean I now need to do the whole car really for my own piece of mind.

Albeit no real harm done it has created me a load of unnecessary work and taught me a lesson not to use exterior wood paint anywhere near vehicles however the application  :cry: :cry:

Waterbased so will come ok, nice and easy, Masonary paints the one to avoid!
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5096 on: 08 August 2016, 21:56 »
Does the mk7 sound a warning noise for poi?
I know the mk6 didn't as this was one of its negatives.
MibII units will give a bong for personal poi's, 1st generation units don't.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5097 on: 09 August 2016, 11:18 »

Oops!  :sad:

Give a good wash to start (if it's water based should shift it).  If that doesn't bring il off thé better to use tar/glue remover first as claying probably not necessary, and much less risk of marring the paint with tar remover. 

It is amazing how easily and far the wind can blow stuff. I once sprayed some tyre gel onto a foam pad standing about 20 feet away, barely any noticeable wind, and on closer inspection stuff was all over the side of the car and a bugger to get off.   Better off moving the car well away when doing anything like painting/staining.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5098 on: 09 August 2016, 13:38 »
Hi Booth, Would you not recommend Claying in General then? A lot of people say that you should Clay a brand new car before applying polish to it to remove all the deposits from it?

Will be interesting to hear your view?

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5099 on: 09 August 2016, 14:32 »
It looks like the wrong grille was fitted by mistake.  Not a fan either.

Jury is in and thanks for all the input peeps - it is now back to stock colour  and you all echo'd what I was really thinking. Cheers  :wink:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer