Author Topic: Clubsport S Question.  (Read 243 times)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
Clubsport S Question.
« on: 14 April 2024, 08:37 »
Hi

Does your Clubsport S come with under bonnet sound insulation?

Can't find a good picture in reviews on Evo, Autocar, Pistonheads or Topgear.

I 'm guessing if it was to protect the paint the Clubsport s would have it fitted?

They sag/shrink on the mk7/7.5 Golfs and aren't worth the £120, mine is doing the same and it bugs me every time I open the bonnet.  Apparently the RS3 and TTRS doesn't come with the sound pad (different engine) but is the Clubsport S the same?  It would make sense that the metal exposed to the engine heat will radiate heat away better than the sound proof pad and possibly a little more noise?

I took mine off yesterday and cleaned the engine bay however the upper part of the bonnet was very hot above the Turbo and just want to check VW thought it was ok enough to remove it on certain cars?

« Last Edit: 14 April 2024, 08:48 by EB2019 »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Clubsport S Question.
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2024, 09:28 »
No under bonnet insulation pad on this one that’s up for sale; this is picture no. 136 from the sales ad on the seller’s website. Link to website; https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2016-volkswagen-golf-mk7-gti-clubsport-s-4

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2024, 10:31 »
Thanks for the link, They could have cleaned under the bonnet to sell it  :grin:

So it was only for sound proofing?  At least I know my paint isn't going to be a problem, even though the bonnet was iron hot to touch.

I noticed (and should add to the old mk7.5 cost cutting thread) they didn't even paint the underside of the bonnet fully, how much did that save?  :rolleyes:

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2024, 10:46 »
Just having a quick look on AutoDoc, there £35-50 plus delivery, not sure if any are from the same manufacturer as OEM though. I'm a bit reluctant to replace knowing the same issue will just reoccurring before too long.

Interestingly, the product descriptions all say "silencing material", no mention of heat insulation. If it's an easy way to increase engine sound then I'm in, but is it worth the risk of potentially damaging the paint..? 
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2024, 11:27 »
Thanks for the link, They could have cleaned under the bonnet to sell it  :grin:

So it was only for sound proofing?  At least I know my paint isn't going to be a problem, even though the bonnet was iron hot to touch.

I noticed (and should add to the old mk7.5 cost cutting thread) they didn't even paint the underside of the bonnet fully, how much did that save?  :rolleyes:

The fact that the underside of the Clubsport S bonnet is painted because it’s on full view but your car’s under bonnet isn’t painted because it would be hidden by the insulation pad seems to suggest / confirm the insulation pad wasn’t fitted to the Clubsport S.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2024, 11:54 »
Just having a quick look on AutoDoc, there £35-50 plus delivery, not sure if any are from the same manufacturer as OEM though. I'm a bit reluctant to replace knowing the same issue will just reoccurring before too long.

Interestingly, the product descriptions all say "silencing material", no mention of heat insulation. If it's an easy way to increase engine sound then I'm in, but is it worth the risk of potentially damaging the paint..?

I saw those but not sure of the quality as I've not heard of the brands.  A forum member had one and said it was fine for 3 years etc, but if its not needed I don't see the point of replacing at all. It doesn't add sound to any extent that I noticed BTW

The fact that the underside of the Clubsport S bonnet is painted because it’s on full view but your car’s under bonnet isn’t painted because it would be hidden by the insulation pad seems to suggest / confirm the insulation pad wasn’t fitted to the Clubsport S.

Good point, I was only thinking its a mk7 and mine being a mk7.5 std Golf so it might not have been painted fully to save money?? If a mk7 owner removed the pad and its partially painted that would def confirm.

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2024, 12:50 »

[/quote]
It doesn't add sound to any extent that I noticed BTW
[/quote]

Interesting, so it fails to carry out it's function, and can't handle it's intended environment?  :grin:
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2024, 13:48 »

It doesn't add sound to any extent that I noticed BTW
[/quote]

Interesting, so it fails to carry out it's function, and can't handle it's intended environment?  :grin:
[/quote]

Yeah that's pretty much it  :grin: