Author Topic: TSR Belly up?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline KingDom

• GTI forum regular
Re: TSR Belly up?
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2006, 19:32 »
Bugger! My mate had his valver down there for a tune up on monday, he said they did a top job  :sad:

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2006, 08:26 »
Yeah just before the vultures set in don't forget that some quality blokes have lost their jobs there.... It's not nice when it happens...

Bazzer

Offline Fielder

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2006, 08:49 »
just reading the club gti thread........some real gossip going on there!

hahahaha fielders a c**k. sorry but he is just a tit. What a waste of forum space for that moron.

Judderi

« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2006, 15:27 »
Yeah me to. Seems like TSR should be remembered how they were in there hay day with the origional owner. I feel sorry for all the people who have been severly ripped off!  :cry:

p.s this is why i do all my own work.

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2006, 17:35 »
Me and a mate of mine had dealings with Tim Stiles some years ago and he was one of the most arrogant, patronizing and money grabbing ba*tards I've ever had the missfortune to come across. At the time I knew a lot of people that refused to spend money there because of him. I do feel sorry for the blokes that obviously put a lot of effort into there work and now have to find new jobs but sadly thats the way things go sometimes  :undecided:

Offline GazB

• I live here
  • Newport Edition - aaahhhhh!AC Cobra Fast as F*@k -
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2006, 17:42 »
Tim stiles was not the current owner, neil purchase was :undecided:

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2006, 18:13 »
As I said it was some years ago and a bad reputation is hard change even when its a change of owner  :huh:

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2006, 18:18 »
Living pretty close by the place, I've popped in there quite a few times, but I have to say I've not purchased a great deal from them. Think it was a pair of drilled discs and a set of ADPs actually!! Had the mk2 RR'd there a few times on the house on account of knowing one of the guys who worked there. I think the same kinda thing as Uruk really - I remember when I had an XR2 and I turned up to their gaff once beofre they moved to the current place. Tim laughed at me and told me to get a GTI. I thought that was a little odd, as I was asking honest questions and offering dosh to get the engine sorted (surprise surprise a CVH not working right??!) but all he wanted to do was patronise me!!

So anyway, after I got the mk2 I went to see him again, and he said "your engine's not right, better have a rebuilt one" rather than look at it. I didn;t take him up on the offer, just left it. Then a couple of years later, after I'd had the exhaust and filter on it a while I took it to a RR day and got it on there, and the man said to me "Yeah, that's a sweet motor you've got in there, really putting out good power". The chart said 146 (might have been 144, me and a mate were having a duel, see) and Tim was showing it as a good example of what a well looked after engine would do. Funny that the engine was 'not right' enough to have a new one a while back eh??

Anyway, post- Tim era seemed like the whole place had changed quite a bit. The guy I knew left, but still kept in touch with them all, so I was still invited to the RR days etc. I went to one early this year, and Neal just seemed to want to show his car off tbh. Wasn't offering any upgrade advice or information on setups or anything. Just kept chucking the cars on the rollers...

So I'm in two minds. Think I'd rather they were still going, but I didn't like the attitude that came with the place. And the guys that worked there seemed to know their stuff, so it's really bad luck for them.

Bazzer

Offline GazB

• I live here
  • Newport Edition - aaahhhhh!AC Cobra Fast as F*@k -
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2006, 20:08 »
As I said it was some years ago and a bad reputation is hard change even when its a change of owner  :huh:

Indeed it is, still a shame to see them go, they used to organise some good meets and the mechanics were a wealth of knowledge to some peope :cry:

Offline Devon Joe

• GTI forum regular
  • Liebe zum ropey Automobil
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2006, 00:22 »
When i decided to do my 2.0 16v conversion i spoke to Neil on the phone who basically said it was a stupid idea to try and do it yourself, just spend £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£Ã‚£Ã‚£ on a TSR one.. I remember him being no use on useful stuff like 'will an 8v block fit a 16v head' His answer was 'yep' and like a d**k I went with his opinion, what with them being 'reputed' n'all. Didnt fit as we all know (now) He said it may mess up the compression but thats it. Cheers dude. I remember the red Passat, but jeez, it surely aint rocket science taking a v6 biturbo out of a big car and putting it into another big car originally deisgned for a V6? I never liked Neil after the 8v/16v head bullsh*t and although i often popped in, the only thing i ever bought off them was some brake pads.

I feel so sorry for anyone who spent huge sums of cash on a TSR engine as if you add up the stuff they supposedly did to each one, i could never work it out. Being a SouthWest lad i used to dream of taking my GTI to TSR and imagined it was chock full of high tech machinery and special kit to do special things to special engines, hence the huuuuge prices.

Oh hang on, no it bl**dy wasnt. Sorry to all who have been ripped off or worked there.
If only my Volkswagen was as reliable as everyone else's...