Author Topic: Throttle body clean.  (Read 58370 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Throttle body clean.
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2009, 19:44 »
What bits the butterfly valve? Dont wanna fook that up?

The part that moves inside. You CANT move it on a DBW  like you can on the throttle cable - throttle body.  :wink:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline K666PDP

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2009, 20:11 »

The part that moves inside. You CANT move it on a DBW  like you can on the throttle cable - throttle body.  :wink:
u can physically move it but I WOULDN'T recommend it as theres a motor controlling it unlike the NDBW which is attached to the throttle cable attachment...............i cleaned my DBW TB last night and i did move it once as there was so much crap but wudnt fancy moving it again...........btw all's good now

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2009, 20:13 »

u can physically move it but I WOULDN'T recommend it as theres a motor controlling it unlike the NDBW which is attached to the throttle cable attachment...............i cleaned my DBW TB last night and i did move it once as there was so much crap but wudnt fancy moving it again...........btw all's good now

Indeed NOT to a good idea to move it.  :smiley:

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2009, 12:31 »
so basically you can f@*k ur car up by doin this?

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2009, 13:46 »
so basically you can f@*k ur car up by doin this?

It could damage the motor inside the TB on a DBW 1.8T - if you try and move it.

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2009, 13:51 »
i think ill give this one a miss lol...until i get more skills

Offline K666PDP

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2009, 15:10 »
by all means taking off the TB is easy mate....make some space as u dont want to drop the TB and damage it(i did mine on the floor in my carpeted garage)and liberally spray ur carb cleaner both sides of the TB, now get a cloth and soak in carb cleaner and clean deposits of both sides of TB for hard to reach places like in the corners use cotton buds soaked in carb cleaner also do the butterfly faces JUST DONT MOVE IT theres alot of resistance so u cant accidently move it then wipe with a clean cloth to dry it (i then left it to 100% dry for 15mins) then refit(making sure all 4 of the 5mm allen bolts are tight and the vaccuum pipe/electical connector are secure!!!REMOVE ALL TOOLS ETC FROM UNDER BONNET if u've left any there!!!!!!!,reconnect battery open drivers door and leave open and turn on ignition to pos2(u will hear chiping noises for about 30secs coming from the TB thats normal as its realigning)i left mine like this for 3mins to 100% make sure was done then start up and leave to idle for a few mins,if all is good(no reason why it shudnt) if for some reason the revs are high etc it'll self learn over a few miles and reset to normal so dont worry now get cleaned up and take the car for a spin and relish how much smoother it is  :cool: easy.
***** The only reason i moved mine ONCE was there was a noticible build up of crap when the butterfly was closed i cudnt shift with the flap in the closed position and when i opened the butterfly the edges of the flap were caked in crap and it was totally baked on(cars done 109k) so the edges in the closed position have prob never been cleaned and when i closed it again it fitted better--id not open it again****
« Last Edit: 22 February 2009, 08:14 by K666PDP »

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2009, 09:27 »
Cool cheers peeps just wanted to make sure. Gonna do mine and Lukes on Saturday.  :smiley:
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2009, 11:03 »
Do the mteal clips on the pipes squeeze together to release them?
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2009, 15:13 »
by all means taking off the TB is easy mate....make some space as u dont want to drop the TB and damage it(i did mine on the floor in my carpeted garage)and liberally spray ur carb cleaner both sides of the TB, now get a cloth and soak in carb cleaner and clean deposits of both sides of TB for hard to reach places like in the corners use cotton buds soaked in carb cleaner also do the butterfly faces JUST DONT MOVE IT theres alot of resistance so u cant accidently move it then wipe with a clean cloth to dry it (i then left it to 100% dry for 15mins) then refit(making sure all 4 of the 5mm allen bolts are tight and the vaccuum pipe/electical connector are secure!!!REMOVE ALL TOOLS ETC FROM UNDER BONNET if u've left any there!!!!!!!,reconnect battery open drivers door and leave open and turn on ignition to pos2(u will hear chiping noises for about 30secs coming from the TB thats normal as its realigning)i left mine like this for 3mins to 100% make sure was done then start up and leave to idle for a few mins,if all is good(no reason why it shudnt) if for some reason the revs are high etc it'll self learn over a few miles and reset to normal so dont worry now get cleaned up and take the car for a spin and relish how much smoother it is  :cool: easy.
***** The only reason i moved mine ONCE was there was a noticible build up of crap when the butterfly was closed i cudnt shift with the flap in the closed position and when i opened the butterfly the edges of the flap were caked in crap and it was totally baked on(cars done 109k) so its prob never been cleaned and when i closed it again it fitted better--id not open it again****

cheers mate  :smiley: