Author Topic: Lupo/Polo 6N2 Stubby Mirrors  (Read 3033 times)

Offline SI74

• I live here
Lupo/Polo 6N2 Stubby Mirrors
« on: 13 January 2013, 21:39 »
I've seen this question a lot and to be truthful the DIY is simple.. shouldnt take you much more than an hour..

I accept no responsibility for your failures..  Proceed at your own risk.

I'm sure theres better ways of doing it and please feel free to add your suggestions if necessary.

You will need: Allen keys, Ratchet/Wrench x2, screwdriver, harmmer, bolt/nut a few washers and torx 10 or 15 cant remember.

1. Remove the mirror glass. Simple move the mirror to the extreme inside/outside position, grab an edge, and pull.

2. If applicable, unplug heater wires. Note where each wire attaches. Thou I have been told that this dosnt matter.

3. Locate the black plastic plug and the 2 screws on the bottom of the mirror housing and remove.   

4. Locate the metal tab with a hole inside the mirror housing under the motor. Use a small screwdriver, awl, etc. Something long, narrow, but fairly stiff. I used a small allen key. Insert the tool through the hole in the mirror housing and the hole in the metal tab. Move the tool towards the front of the car in order to move the tab towards the back of the car. it may be necessary to pry the black tab on the right side of the mirror housing while removing the cap.. When doing all this pull up to remove the cap.

5. Its will leave you with this.   

6. The black filler trim can now be removed. 

7. You will now want to remove the motor assembly by removing the three phillips screws and once they are removed, you can unplug the motor (there are two small tabs that need to be lightly pried out to remove the plug).

8. Next up you need remove the small plug. In a lot of the older posts Ive read they've said to cut the wires but I pushed a small allen key in below the connectors and pulled the wires out the other side.. you can get a tool for doing this and I would recommend it. Remember what wire goes where thou.           

9. The next step is to remove the push nut. I used a screwdriver and tapped it up till it popped off.  You will need to use a hammer and small socket to flatten the ears on the nut in order to reuse it, or it will not bite onto the shaft when you reassemble the mirror. Remove the original arm from the base.     

10. In order to reassemble the mirror, place the new arm on. you will need a long bolt (roughly 6 inches under head and no larger than 5/16" or 8 mm in diameter) with a nut matched to the thread of the bolt. I used a sockets as a spacer and a few washers to create my vise. here it is ready to tighten down       

Using two wrenches that match your bolt and nut, tighten the assembly (a ratchet wrench works best), but holding the top wrench still and turning the bottom bolt (or nut). The nut should be between 10-13 mm below the top of the center pivot when fully installed). You can take a measurement or observe the original position and tighten it there.

11. Next up push the wires back through. Attached the plug and screw the motor back on to the new arm               

12. Reinstall the filler trim       

13. Reinstall the cover by sliding it back into place, making sure that it is aligned correctly with the locating slots (it will click in place).

14. Reinstall the heater wires (for those with heated mirrors) and pop the mirror glass back into place with both hands. 

15. Now sit back and enjoy.

Before. bad times

After good times.