Author Topic: door drains and refitting - 2 years on - NO DAMP FOOT WELLS!  (Read 3746 times)

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
right, had enough of the leaking little sh!theads so decided to solve this once and for all. for about 4 hours i had all my doors in pieces looking for water marks and the like. then i had a light bulb moment.

got a litre of water and poured it through the sunroof drains and waited eagerly to see where the water would come out of, both door nipples stayed bone dry and i noticed a dark patch spreading through the carpet  :lipsrsealed:  so i grabbed my side cutters and cut, yes thats right, i cut the crimped part of the drain nipples off. end result, two gapping wholes, my reasoning being that water will no longer be stopped by those stupid little slits, 2 litres of water later and nothing still, i bit the bullet and yanked off the nipples, woah and behold i found the water...or whats left of it, the pipe had been PUSHED OUT of the grommet with all the years of rain and dust and the pressure just caused it all to happen, and as there isnt any seal with the interior panels and interior carpet, its leaks everywhere!  :angry:

the grommet fits over a riged plastic tube in the door pillar as most of you are aware. a bit of a b!tch to pull out...because it doesnt  :lipsrsealed:  so there i was, i'd clear up the crap in the gromet and i can see straight through without any obstruction.

another 5 hours, i decided to seal the doors up again as i thought about this and then my old man walks up with his cup of black and about 2 meters of washing line in his hands, hands me it and says, lube up your nipples  :shocked:  and feed this through the drains 

so pushed the wire down the drains in the sunroof, a whole lot of gunk came down with it, pulled it through the grommet and tide a MASSIVE knot in the end. lined it all up as best as possible and gave it a good tug   :grin: worked a blinding treat, felt the inner drain pipe pop into place in the gromet and everything slipped nicely on with some good old vascelene!  :smug:

5 litres of water and boom! the water is on the outside of the car! and as for the puddles in the car i  placed a safety heater and dehumidifier into the boot with out any seats in, left it over night and 5 ltrs of dirty water has been extracted, doing the same again to night and over the weekend!!!

anyone having this problems should look into this, sorry i didnt manage to get pics but i finaly cracked this at about half 5 and the sun was gone   :cry:

try this at your own peril though!
« Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 22:47 by GTi_James »

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
Re: door drains and refitting
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2013, 11:48 »
UPDATE:

after the crappy weather we have just had i have checked my carpets and they are bone dry so this may be the cure for most out there!

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM