Author Topic: X-Reg Mk1 GTI project finally started  (Read 3708 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
X-Reg Mk1 GTI project finally started
« on: 03 June 2007, 13:05 »
I've finally dug the mk1 out of its coccoon in the corner of the garden! Had to use the Polo to pull it out!
Despite my best efforts at keeping it protected a lot of damp has got to the engine bay. I think/hope its all superficial.

This morning I have started stripping the front end. I plan to strip it down to, more or less, a bare shell and then further assessment will be carried out to assess viability of restoration.

Photo's will follow and I may keep a diary in the projects section.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2007, 13:25 by richandhazel »

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: X-Reg Mk1 GTI project finally started
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2007, 13:20 »
About time eh Rich. :laugh:
......now officially dubless.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2007, 13:28 »
About time eh Rich. :laugh:

Yeah true. I would have loved to have started it sooner but other jobs around the house and work have taken priority up until now.

The cabrio now belongs to Hazel. We're looking forward to coming to shows with the two mk1's :cool:

Dinky

« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2007, 21:54 »
Good luck :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2007, 22:11 »
well come on then, get some pictures loaded up so we can see the start of the progress and what are the plans Rich?!
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2007, 07:52 »
The car has had no modifications and hasn't been messed around with at all. It hasn't been run for at least 11 years and had been garaged and has been under my car cover since I have had it.
I plan to keep it that way and restore it to totally original spec. I originally picked it up with a view to scrapping it for parts but when I looked underneath, it was just too solid and it would have been a crime to scrap it.
Some of the exterior bodywork is tatty and it will need a replacement O/S front wing and respray at the very least.
The engine will be dismantled, assessed and cleaned up. That may be the only deviation from spec that I may have to make as it hasn't run for so long but fingers crossed I can salvage it.

Offline KittyMk1

• GTI forum regular
  • ~ VolksGirls.co.uk ~
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2007, 08:22 »
hurray!!!
hope it all goes well for ya mate! :) nice to see mk1's being restored. keep up updated with pics :)

Dinky

« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2007, 20:19 »
yeah..get the pics up rich.
sold the gt btw.. :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2007, 22:04 »
The car has had no modifications and hasn't been messed around with at all. It hasn't been run for at least 11 years and had been garaged and has been under my car cover since I have had it.
I plan to keep it that way and restore it to totally original spec. I originally picked it up with a view to scrapping it for parts but when I looked underneath, it was just too solid and it would have been a crime to scrap it.
Some of the exterior bodywork is tatty and it will need a replacement O/S front wing and respray at the very least.
The engine will be dismantled, assessed and cleaned up. That may be the only deviation from spec that I may have to make as it hasn't run for so long but fingers crossed I can salvage it.

I like the sound of this Rich, will be keeping an eye on this, might even pop over and see the car before I pop back to the US next week, if you are around?
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2007, 23:16 »

I like the sound of this Rich, will be keeping an eye on this, might even pop over and see the car before I pop back to the US next week, if you are around?

You're more than welcome. Got a seized nut on the exhaust manifold that is so tight, the car will turn upside down before I get the damn thing off ggggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!