Author Topic: yellow original or not mark 1  (Read 2517 times)

Offline vixteris

• I live here
yellow original or not mark 1
« on: 13 December 2003, 21:36 »
does anyone know if Golfs were ever made 1983 in yellow. Seller said it was original but I havent seen another yet. Thanks in advance for any info

Offline lewis

• GTI forum regular
Re:yellow original or not mark 1
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2003, 12:30 »
I?ve never seen one if they did. Is it an original to this country or is it an import?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2003, 12:47 »
can def get non-gti mk1's in a real bright yellow and some early cab's i think. not sure about specifically '83
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2003, 23:07 »
thanks peeps for response. Im pretty sure its not an import but it is a gti. Perhaps engine modified later or could have been a colour request to the manufacturer I guess. Maybe I should force myself out into the cold weather and go ask the vw dealer up the road :-\

Dinky

« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2003, 20:13 »
U keeping it yellow?

Dinky :-*

Offline m6m62

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2003, 21:09 »
Hi,

I've got an '83 Golf brochure and yellow isn't listed as a colour. Gti's were never offered in yellow and I think they stopped doing it on all Mk1's in about '77. I suppose it could be a special factory request - they did a couple of sand (gold) and atlas grey Mk1 Gti's as special orders, but these colours were available on non-Gti (sand) and Mk2's (grey). Never heard of a yellow one though. Take a door panel off and look at the inside of the door or lift the carpets and see if you spot another colour !

All the best,

Mark

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2003, 04:43 »
U keeping it yellow?

Yeh totally, I paid over the odds for the car because yellow is my fave colour. I thought it looked kinda different and I really like cars that have a certain originality about them.

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2003, 04:52 »
Never heard of a yellow one though. Take a door panel off and look at the inside of the door or lift the carpets and see if you spot another colour !

All the best,

Mark
I tried this. Yellow absolutely everywhere.
Then spotted in this same forum under which is your favourite colour for which car? a post by NottAnother 16v fan that his grandparents owned a yellow golf in the early 80s. Now this could have been a non GTI. So im thinking maybe mines not either. But it goes like sh!t off a shovel and its written in the paperwork ive got.
So back to the drawing board!

Dinky

« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2003, 15:28 »
Then spotted in this same forum under which is your favourite colour for which car? a post by NottAnother 16v fan that his grandparents owned a yellow golf in the early 80s. Now this could have been a non GTI. So im thinking maybe mines not either. But it goes like sh!t off a shovel and its written in the paperwork ive got.
So back to the drawing board!
I know absolutely nowt about mine,just that its an import which r sometimes harder to find out about,but i love it for what it is! ;D Even if urs isnt a gti-bet its still lush! ;)

Offline antgti

• Here all the time
  • 130PD Gti with Van aaken chip to 165 has now gone,
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2003, 18:41 »
The yellow may not have been an offered colour in the brochure, but car manufactorers will sometimes knock out different colours as one offs or limite runs,  These will be usually used as a press car or will be ordered by someone with more money than sense.  There is a red series 1 RS turbo around the cornwe from where i work and this is completely standard.  So it may well be standard.  But hey it's nice to be different i'nt it.
Me old diesel was quick/........

16.004 sec Qtr mile @ 85mph 23/5/04 Santa Pod

Now running around in soon to be REVO'd Seat ibiza 1.8T 20v FR and missing the fuel economy..............