Author Topic: Your GTI cab does not exist  (Read 12202 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Your GTI cab does not exist
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2012, 20:41 »
 :shocked:

I couldn't help myself..I posted a comment.  Now lets see if it passes the Moderator.

:evil:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2012, 11:42 »

I couldn't help myself..I posted a comment.  Now lets see if it passes the Moderator.

Have I missed something?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2012, 11:56 »

Have I missed something?

Clearly.  :cool:

At the bottom of the article is a box to post a comment.  So I did.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2012, 13:01 »

Have I missed something?

And what's wrong with that?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2012, 13:42 »

Have I missed something?

And what's wrong with that?

Pointing out that the article writer was clearly wrong and clearly doesn't know his stuff, doesn't tend to down well.

:grin:

Offline rich1977

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2012, 17:40 »
not defending them in anyway.

but are the gti variants actually vws? only reason I ask (and ive also own and driven this mirrage) is becuase im sure I once read in  some restoration manual that the vw stopped manufacturing the golf cabby themselfs when the mk2 came out and karmen bought the shells and made a number of special editions over the years one being the gti.

although these where badged and sold in vw dealerships they where not actually built by vw

so in theory vw hasnt ever produced a gti convertible.
Www.Internet-ink.co.uk voucher code RL15 for 15% off all pens,toners and ink cartridges including cannon Epsom dell and hp.

Offline rich1977

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2012, 17:50 »
quick bit of research in said book.

vw got karmen (german coachbuilders) to design and build the convertible for them which is why all of them have karmen badges on them vw shelved the cabby when the mk2 was realised but karmen still had a number of shells remaining and continued to manufacture and sell them via vw dealerships vw never realised a golf gti cabby

karmen did

vw also got karmen to design and build the corrado

*info taken out of a golf mk1 restoration manual so not sure how accurate it is
Www.Internet-ink.co.uk voucher code RL15 for 15% off all pens,toners and ink cartridges including cannon Epsom dell and hp.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2012, 16:18 »
so you're saying that all those VW Corrado owners don't have a VW Corrado either?  :grin:

VW still sold my GTi as a VW GTi.. so I have a GTi cabriolet which is still a VW

There has been a new comment added that this was the only time that the GTi Cabriolet has been sold 'globally'  :undecided:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2012, 19:44 »
Pointing out that the article writer was clearly wrong and clearly doesn't know his stuff, doesn't tend to down well.
 :grin:

Ignore my previous comments, I thought you were talking about a post in here...  :rolleyes:

As far as the rest of this thread has gone, I need to agree with Guy, he owns a VW Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet, there's no doubt about that.

However, what the Golf Plus article is trying to say is badly written IMO.  If the intention for the mk6 cabby is to be the first Global GTI version, then this is true.   But is not the first GTI Cabriolet.

Note the following though:

VW stopped the production of MK1's altogether at the end of 1983 and started producing the MK2

Karmann continue to put together mk1 cabbys as there were still a lot of shells left, this did lead to special editions and the introduction of the GTI versions which included the Sportline and the Rivage.  This stopped in 1993.  Think about it, what is the earliest version of the Mk1 GTI cabriolet and who built them?

Slightly off topic, VW South Africa continued making the Citi Golfs until 2009

At least this article kicked off correctly.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-gti/first-drives/volkswagen-golf-gti-cabriolet
« Last Edit: 16 August 2012, 00:21 by SoundillusioN »

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2012, 22:19 »
regardless of who put the car together, the shell is VW and the parts VW and the logbook states Volkswagen Golf not Karmen Golf!
What utter tripe and an insult to the mk1 golf i think!