Author Topic: Lowering a Clipper - any advice  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
Lowering a Clipper - any advice
« on: 26 January 2005, 14:49 »
I've got some 14" Scala alloys which are going on my 89 Clipper shortly. I want to lower the car by about 20-25mm. I don't want to take the car down beyond 30mm as I don't want to get it too far away from stock.

I'm having trouble sourcing springs that are about 20mm - everyone I've tried so far only does 40mm.

Can anyone offer any advice or recommend a stockist?

Thanks.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Lowering a Clipper - any advice
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2005, 15:25 »
You could try looking through the Golf+ mag, it has loads of adverts and there is usually some suspension parts and some tell you the drop. I don't think I've seen them with only a 20mm drop to be honest.  :undecided:

I've just had mind lowered and it doesn't look that much different from stock, I've yet to take any photos yet though.  :sad:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Bronze MK1 Cab

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2005, 16:49 »
Mine has been lowered by 40mm and it's an 89 clipper. I was well happy with a 40mm drop, thought I'd post my sig on here for you to see how much of a drop it is.

I bought Boge springs for about ?80 from German and Swedish. I managed to get boge turbo gas shocks second hand for cheap. I'm really pleased with the kit, but then it might be too low for you? :wink:

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2005, 17:14 »
Hi Phil303

I know that awesome gti do a 'Bilstein lowering kit' for this which has a drop of about 30 -35mm, this costs ?175 (I know this as I have done mine)..... this doesn't however include the fitting charge which is ?125 (how do they do it and make a profit?!?!?!?)

I am actually waiting for my FK coilovers to come in and then I may well be getting rid my old ones (as above)

Good luck,

Mix

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2005, 17:26 »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out the various suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Sweet looking car btw.

Phil

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2005, 07:57 »
Euro car parts in Leeds (see deals and discount section and speak to Stuart) do a streetline kit which is what I've just had put on mine last week, it was ?135 all in for a set of Bilstein shocks and a set of Ventura lowering springs, but I'd say the drop on mine is 30 - 40mm though. Cost me ?80 to get mine fitted :smiley: If you speak to Stuart at Leeds ECP he will give you 10% off for using this site and if in stock he will usually deliver to you the next day, quality service  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline stubbsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2005, 17:14 »
i may be wrong but i think i heard that when the mk1 gti was first brought out it was 20mm lower than other mk1's around at this time. therefore are the clippers 20mm higher than the gti or are hey he same?? if not could gti springs be fitted to lower it 20mm.