Author Topic: Subs in Mk2 boot  (Read 3479 times)

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Subs in Mk2 boot
« on: 19 January 2004, 15:10 »
Has anyone tried boxing-in the space between the wheel arches and the back of the light clusters (where the first aid kit originally went) and mounting subs into the resulting space?

It's just an idea cos I'd quite like the extra kick in the Mk2 from subs, but don't want to lose the boot space to big bass boxes, plus I often have to put the seats down to shift things around.

I was thinking of boxing in the space, putting a 10inch sub each side with crossover and putting some replacement 6x4s in to handle mid range and treble.

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
Re:Subs in Mk2 boot
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2004, 17:58 »
I am thinking about doing this, Auto acoustics make them already but they are quite pricey http://www.autoacoustics.com/sbn-vg023.htm.

I am going to run some JL Audio XR525-CSI components in the front and just run 1 or 2 subs (8" or 10"'s) in the back near the wheel arches to give me a balanced sound, I wouldn't worry about the 6x4's  in the back but I'm not expert.

Where would you install the amp? I was thinking about under the passenger seat, I don't want to mess about with a false floor and I need all my boot space as well.

Let me know how your install goes, I would be very interested to see how you get on. I will be attempting mine in 3 weeks.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2004, 23:43 »
the trouble with getting your subs in those spaces is sealing the whole thing off. You could always run a free air sub on the shelf?
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2004, 23:46 »
if you go the autoacoustics route reserves, remember the discount ;)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=5124

Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2004, 03:41 »
Dizzie,

I don't understand what you mean by sealing them off? I was thinking of building a enclosed box that fits by the wheel arch?

JV, Thanks for the tip I may use this!

R
« Last Edit: 20 January 2004, 03:45 by reserves »

Offline RKett 16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2004, 14:22 »
I've got two alpine type r subs in my 16v. 1 is in a normal box in the boot and the second is reverse mounted on a piece of mdf on the right hand side of the boot. This looks the nuts but the sound is no where near as good as the one in the box. :)

91' 16v                                                                     96' Daily Drive

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2004, 16:00 »
Sealing a sub off means there is a volume of air infront/behind the cone which produces a counter force when the sub is moved. If the volume is too small then the counter force is too big and the sub will not reach full movement, if the volume is too large then you can get too much movement or clipping.
<br /><br />Yeah!!!

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2004, 17:28 »
I assume that the Autoacoustics one will have enough space and should perform well with a 10" sub?

I'm after SQ above SPL.

R
« Last Edit: 20 January 2004, 17:33 by reserves »

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2004, 18:22 »
they make the volume of air spot on for the sub so yes.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2004, 22:09 »
sorry, this doesnt have much to do with the thread, but can i just say lowgolf, ur install is Fekin AWESOME!!! shame about the lack of boot space, but if i had an install that lookd as sweet as that i wudnt give a S**T!!... good work chap!