Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2782070 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8560 on: 09 June 2018, 18:36 »
Right chaps, I'm think now of going down the refurbishment route as the tyre actually looks fine and the "damage" is very superficial.

That will cost me £160.00 from Lepson's (including courier delivery to them and back). They state that the repairs are normally undertaken in approximately 3-4 Working days.

Now the question is what to run on the car whilst the wheel is in. I don't want to be running a space saver for a week, so option B (and this is what I'd like advice on please), is that I have the below "spare" wheel assembly that came off my MK5 Golf (see image below of it in the boot of my MK5 back in 2009). It's a steelie, but fitted with a decent Dunlop SP Sport Tyre at a size of 205/55/16. It's been sitting for a number of years since the MK5 was sold (since March 2011 to be precise, in my garage away from direct sunlight), but the question is would that be a better option for a week or so rather than the space saver and will it fit OK to the back of a MK7 GTI ?

Ive just ran my spacesaver on the R for the last 2 weeks without any issues.
It actually got me over 40mpg which I didn't think possible  :grin:

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8561 on: 09 June 2018, 19:37 »
I've put these 11mm Forge wheel spacers on the rear wheels...

Now I'm debating whether to put 5mm or 8mm on the fronts :)

2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8562 on: 09 June 2018, 20:56 »

How much did these cost?

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8563 on: 09 June 2018, 21:30 »
£43 from Awesome GTI.

Plus you need longer bolts, and another set of (longer) locking wheel bolts :(

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8564 on: 10 June 2018, 11:37 »

Couldn't you have got the OZ's in a lower offset to negate the need for spacers?

I'd go 8mm hubcentric for the fronts. The 5mm will be a flat spacer which isn't ideal on the front (or the rear for that matter).

I bought Sparco spacers via their official eBay outlet a few years ago for my R. They come with longer bolts as standard and are really good quality at a decent price. You will still need an extended locker but I didn't bother with them, I just bought an extra four nut caps for standard nuts instead which only cost a few quid from a dealer.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8565 on: 10 June 2018, 11:39 »
Fitted the red overlay for the gti steering wheel badge and gave the car a coat of auto balm.

https://flic.kr/p/26VZz17

That looks surprisingly good  :cool: :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8566 on: 10 June 2018, 12:24 »
The thing is if I had of got the wheels in et40 and there was any rubbing or clearance problems then I'd be trouble :(

And 5mm don't really need to be hub centric, they'll be enough of the hub sticking out if you see what I mean..

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8567 on: 10 June 2018, 17:02 »
The thing is if I had of got the wheels in et40 and there was any rubbing or clearance problems then I'd be trouble :(

And 5mm don't really need to be hub centric, they'll be enough of the hub sticking out if you see what I mean..

ET 40 are ok, even on the fronts with 225 tyres

Don’t come crying to us if an expensive Oz comes flying off on a corner and rolls away at speed  :whistle:
Mind you, the dash cam footage could be entertaining  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8568 on: 10 June 2018, 17:15 »
Don't worry id put it straight on YouTube  :grin:

But just to update this story...ive seen a range of hub centric spacers on Amazon that look good quality and not too expensive and I think I'm going to get 8mm for the rear and 5mm for the front. Both sizes are hub centric....tbh after looking at it a lot...i think 11mm is a tad too much (for me)...8 And 5 will be perfect I think....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8569 on: 11 June 2018, 14:23 »
Gave it a wash today only to find a nasty scrape on the front bumper:

Whilst I can't be 100% sure I didn't do it myself I'm pretty sure I would've remembered. That and the door mirror that's being replaced next Monday :rolleyes:. I think I'll get a touch up kit as the bumper has all sorts of marks anyway and if I keep the car a few more years will get resprayed at some point. Still, the new QD and buffing towel I tried today certainly got the rest of my GTI looking pretty good, I think so anyway :smiley:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.