Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2782302 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8550 on: 07 June 2018, 12:59 »
If it's a front tyre I'd move it to the back as it'll be under less stress just rotating rather than having turning forces on it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8551 on: 07 June 2018, 14:08 »
Right chaps, I'm think now of going down the refurbishment route as the tyre actually looks fine and the "damage" is very superficial.

That will cost me £160.00 from Lepson's (including courier delivery to them and back). They state that the repairs are normally undertaken in approximately 3-4 Working days.

Now the question is what to run on the car whilst the wheel is in. I don't want to be running a space saver for a week, so option B (and this is what I'd like advice on please), is that I have the below "spare" wheel assembly that came off my MK5 Golf (see image below of it in the boot of my MK5 back in 2009). It's a steelie, but fitted with a decent Dunlop SP Sport Tyre at a size of 205/55/16. It's been sitting for a number of years since the MK5 was sold (since March 2011 to be precise, in my garage away from direct sunlight), but the question is would that be a better option for a week or so rather than the space saver and will it fit OK to the back of a MK7 GTI ?

The tyre looks OK (just a bit dirty and cobwebby from sitting around, but there's no cracks etc. in the sidewalls and the tyre was brand new and had one ever seen the road once (when I had a puncture in the MK5 for around 10 miles).

« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 14:11 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8552 on: 07 June 2018, 14:24 »
I'd use it. The tyres on my Mk2 are over 10 years old and I don't think twice about using that 2 or 3 times a year.

16" wheels will fit over non PP 312mm front brakes, so will be fine on the rear.

It would be better to use that than your space saver, as they are designed for emergency use only. The 16" wheel is still like a space saver and will need to be treated as such, but it will keep you rolling in more safety.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8553 on: 07 June 2018, 14:26 »
Weekends plan is to instal my Helix Sub - can i just ask disconnecting the battery what after effects does this have and how do i solve them ? i believe its an issue with the windows ?
driving it normally clears all the errors, if not obdeleven’s your friend

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8554 on: 07 June 2018, 15:00 »
Weekends plan is to instal my Helix Sub - can i just ask disconnecting the battery what after effects does this have and how do i solve them ? i believe its an issue with the windows ?
driving it normally clears all the errors, if not obdeleven’s your friend

Yes, agreed, normally a few ignition cycles and everything clears.
Failing that, OBD11 will sort it quickly.

I'd use it. The tyres on my Mk2 are over 10 years old and I don't think twice about using that 2 or 3 times a year.

16" wheels will fit over non PP 312mm front brakes, so will be fine on the rear.

It would be better to use that than your space saver, as they are designed for emergency use only. The 16" wheel is still like a space saver and will need to be treated as such, but it will keep you rolling in more safety.

My thoughts too.
Shove it in the rear and drive gingerly.
I'm mourning the loss this morning of yet another wing mirror :cry: A lorry got the passenger side last year, I just clipped the driver side whilst reversing ironically at the VW garage getting a £5 drain tube replaced. £450. At least there was no damage to the bodywork this time so a straightforward replacement but my precious black mirror cap bought it too :sad:

Oops! And ouch too!
How did you manage that?

I was briefly distracted by a parked car on my left and pedestrians and just caught the wall. It's now taped on with a spare mirror cap. Thought about buying a secondhand part and doing it myself but I don't have a great track record with trim removal/refitting :rolleyes: So I'll be back to my red mirror caps...again.
How frustrating! Gutted for you.

Well, sooner or later your track record will improve as you’ll have done it so many times you’ll be a professional trim remover and refitter  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #8555 on: 07 June 2018, 16:29 »
Sootchucker I’d be tempted to go with the new spare wheel approach, changing the tyre over will give you a chance to check it - a spare wheel just gives your more options.

If your passing through Lancashire I can lend you one of my winter wheels (with winter tyre) for a week or so - just PM me

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #8556 on: 08 June 2018, 17:42 »
Sootchucker - the 16" wheel is very close on rolling radius to the 225/40R18. I use a 17" wheel and tyre off a passat with no issues - I did think that 16" wheels would fit over your (non PP) brakes, it's only the PP that needs a 17" wheel AFAIK.

Ran mine for a week or so on it with no issues, didn't even feel that different on handling.

I feel for you with the kerbing though lol - been there, done that.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8557 on: 08 June 2018, 19:04 »
Cheers bud
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #8558 on: 08 June 2018, 19:07 »
Bought some of the new VWR shocks to go with their spring kit. Not getting it fitted until mid July though  :sad:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #8559 on: 08 June 2018, 22:21 »
Fitted the red overlay for the gti steering wheel badge and gave the car a coat of auto balm.

https://flic.kr/p/26VZz17
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights