Author Topic: Fibreglass install ?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Liam

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Mk3
Fibreglass install ?
« on: 12 October 2004, 17:58 »
hey there, i came accross this pic of an install in redline magazine and i really want mine like it but aint got a clue about fibreglassing nevermind having it like the pic (below) if anybody has any tutorials or could go through with me exacly what they have done then that would be great.
Made In Germany Refined In Wales

Offline lints

• Not said much yet
Re: Fibreglass install ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2004, 10:43 »
rather than go through it all it's probably best you visit www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and go to the forums and look in FAQ, there are some really good tutorials on fibreglassing pods, boxes etc.. im sure you can gather enough info from there - theres lots of pics at the various stages also  :)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2004, 10:43 »
Basically u can make any shape in fibreglass, but ya gotta make a mould first. The old female/male thing.
Or you can use thin plywood as a base cut to the shapes you want then glass over them. Thin ply can be bent to slight curves but not complex ones, i.e. those that go in two directions.
Best to draw up what you want to do in 3 views and sections then make paper or cardboard templates. Bearing in mind that you will have to build in some MDF or thicker ply in flat sections to mount the speakers on. The pic u have shown looks very complicated and was probably made up in three seperate pieces then moulded together.
If thats what u want then be prepared for a lot of work and its very messy/dusty.
I have a good deal of DIY fibreglass so if ya wanna know more just ask.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Liam

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Mk3
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2004, 21:40 »
cheers people, ye i was thiknking that the install i showed was made up of fibreglass on the sides and possibly wood in the middle amp section, i would like something similar to that but without the screen and screen board aswell and maybe the subs not inverted.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2004, 09:48 »
Glassfibre on its own would be strong enough but it will resonate. So for the speaker enclosures you need some MDF or Plywood to stiffen it up. Also think about how its going to relate to the structure of the car. i.e. how you're gonna mount and secure it. You will need some strengthening at those points as well.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Liam

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Mk3
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2004, 21:56 »
ye i would be doing the false floor anyway then wood round the sides like a box with no front or top and make a skeleteon out of mdf and fibreglass.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2004, 09:08 »
Just remember when cutting/sanding both of those, the dust aint very good for ya. And wear gloves when sanding glassfibre. The tiny, tiny particles stick in yer hands and itch like F*CK for days after!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Liam

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Mk3
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2004, 21:10 »
gotta get the system together 1st, thought id ask, do you think a focal polyglass sub would do or a JL 1 ?