Author Topic: Looking at selling up  (Read 1492 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Looking at selling up
« on: 10 September 2021, 15:51 »
Bit of a cleverly worded title really but I'm looking to sell my 2017 3dr GTI. Been given a really great offer on it, making a profit on it from what I bought it for over 2 years ago.

My plan was to pickup a £13k Up GTI as I'm not doing too many miles anymore but I'm wondering if I'm being stupid? I know there's a bubble around used car prices at the minute and I'm not sure if I'm just setting myself up for future pain with the Up. My plan is to keep the Up for ~1 year until buying new cars becomes easier.

Any thoughts would be great!
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Looking at selling up
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2021, 19:59 »
If you want to get a new car then it sounds like a good plan to me. Once used car prices settle back to normal I'd expect you'll lose less cash on the Up! than the GTI.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2021, 20:06 »
Yeah that was my thinking. I expect to lose money but nowhere near as much as what I could potentially lose on the Golf. I think the Up GTI will be a great little run around for what I'll need in the short term.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2021, 20:38 »
While it's likely you'd lose less on an Up than your GTi you may also wish to think about which car you'd rather be driving for however long it takes for the new car market to get to where you want it to be.

Used car prices will soften at some point, we just don't know exactly when or by how much.
7.5 GTD

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2021, 20:43 »
Well I work remotely now so the only place I drive is to the supermarket and the gym so I don't think I'll be missing out on too much for a while! I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to have a nice car just for the sake of having one.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2021, 21:30 »
The Up! GTI will make a great run around and I think (I don't know) you might do rather well financially over a year if you buy well.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2021, 21:33 »
I think in a year it'll still be there or there abouts. The price on it is £13k and WBAC are currently offering £12k trade in
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2021, 15:02 »
If you're just looking at a car for a year, why not just get something cheap? You could get a normal Up for £5k with 9,000 miles, which I personally still think is expensive for a car to have for a year. I'd be looking at cars under £3k like a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla.

I had a normal up for a day while my golf was getting serviced, it was alright but I wouldn't want to own one for everyday, a lot to be desired in terms of comfort.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2021, 16:52 »
We have today sold our 2019 GTi 245 to a local VW dealer.  They offered more or less what I had payed for it new just over 2 years ago. We were amazed at the offers we received for it and have bought a Polo at half the price for her to use as a runabout for a year or two. Eventually this crazy bubble must burst and as electric becomes mainstream I think we have probably sold at the top of the market for a mk7.5 GTi......

She may very well keep the Polo as she does very little miles now as her company have her WFH and have indicated she may stay that way....

When I change my Karoq in a couple of years it will be for a boring old EV, probably the Enyaq, so that might have been our last proper car we have just said good bye to....... :sad:
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2021, 20:31 »
After some careful consideration I decided that I'm just going to keep what I've got. Test drove the Up GTI today and it was absolutely fantastic, a lot of fun to drive and would certainly be a great car to own, when I got back into the Golf I realised exactly why I love it so much.

So just going to hold on and if the market bursts then so be it, at least I've still got a great car to drive!
Sold - 2019 Up GTI