Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2828179 times)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1570 on: 02 January 2015, 11:10 »
Thinking about it.... perhaps it is a bit unusual these days.... with the proliferation of five quid 'hand car washes' all over the place anyone doing it themselves just looks mean to the casual observer.....

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #1571 on: 02 January 2015, 11:14 »
Don't have it yet (hopefully the end of this month) but a few things now ready to be fitted

Gloss black mirror covers, UK legal pressed metal plates and genuine 'Autostadt' frames, and a Blackvue DR600GW dashcam

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1572 on: 02 January 2015, 12:44 »
Found myself in the fuel warning lottery.
Car turned to 0 miles left and due to various circumstances got another 12 miles out of it till I got to the fuel station!! Phew.

12 miles? Not exactly living dangerously - gone 24 before, that was a bit of a twitchy time, and the car took 50.45L.  :undecided:

24 miles after the range says 0? Now that is living dangerously  :smug:
The most I've managed to squeeze in mine was 51.53 Litres
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1573 on: 02 January 2015, 22:12 »
@ Phope,

Nice set of plates you got there! just wondering how you got them without the V5? You did say you have a company car on order and you still await delivery?

Reason I'm asking is I have had my car around 3 months and the front plate has already de-laminated this week with water and all kinds of sh*t embedded in the plate and thought may as well try and get a fresh set that don't advertise the fact I'm driving a lease company car?

Lucky I don't drive and live in Spain-probably be car jacked by now!

The wing mirror caps look cool BTW and tempted by them as just got stone chips on drivers door side today as well!
 :sick:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #1574 on: 02 January 2015, 22:29 »
Got them from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/europl8r

I simply bought them, told them what I wanted (they don't do non-legal plates) and they came a few days later.

They are BS marked, and have the issuer & postcode marked on, and are UK legal
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1575 on: 03 January 2015, 00:31 »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1576 on: 07 January 2015, 16:57 »
Actually properly tried to drive the most economical i could to back to work today at dinner, the whole 8 miles that is largely over a country lane and I was amazed that I got 42mpg. Mostly by simply being in 1 higher gear that I normally would, and I had to recently switch to normal petrol as I have a fuel card and they've been moaning at me. I can certainly feel the reduction in bhp but i think its doing my mpg the world of good. Lets see what I get on the way back...
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1577 on: 07 January 2015, 17:34 »
Don't know how you can feel the reduction in bhp when the gti doesn't need higher proof petrol. Is it not just in your head?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1578 on: 07 January 2015, 19:06 »
If a GTI is optimised for RON95, it's not going run noticeably better RON98. RON98 fuel isn't any more potent than RON95, it's able to undergo greater compression without pinking because it is less volatile. Octane rating isn't an indicator of energy content, in fact some higher octane petrols that achieve their higher octane rating through the addition of bioethanol are less energy dense than normal RON95 unleaded.

An increase in power and an increase in fuel economy go hand in hand, usually indicating that more complete combustion has taken place. Using RON98 in a RON95 optimised car makes the car more likely to be thirstier because it can't run optimally - the fuel is being ignited at a lower compression ratio and so runs more of a risk of an incomplete burn. You might end up coking your spark plugs by running a GTI on RON98.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1579 on: 07 January 2015, 19:29 »
I regularly get 30-40 miles more per tank on Tesco99 than the standard stuff and it feels more responsive tbf.
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI